Can it be too hot outside to coop train chicks?

bridghen

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Central Texas
I know that young chickens shouldn't be moved to the coop if it's too cold, but I've also read in a few different places that coop training should never be done when temperatures exceed 70 degrees (F). My husband and I have 8 three-week-old chicks and we've been thinking about moving their brooder box into the outside coop in the next few weeks; we currently have two adult hens, so we were thinking we'd keep the young ones in their large wooden brooder box for a little bit to keep them safe and get them used to sleeping outside before moving them to the next stages (a wire playpen and eventually sharing a full coop/roosts). However, we live in Texas, where temperatures are already starting to creep into the triple digits as of this week during the day and we can expect 80+ degree temps at night once summer continues. Can anyone give me more information about the 70-degree coop training rule/does anyone have any helpful information about raising chicks in hot climates? Thank you so much!

I live in AZ and have moved chicks out during highs in the 90s and I know people who hatch in summer here. Give them a fan and/or a puddle of water and they will probably be ok. I try to watch the weather and move them out when temps are as cool as they're going to get. The longer you keep them in the harder it'll be for them to acclimate.

I’m in Arkansas (heat indexes are already in triple digits) and am wondering this, too...my chicks are 1.5 weeks old right now, but I’m thinking of moving them next week. Maybe a fan in the coop and letting them out during the day in the run for your babies, @bridghen ? What did you decide? Stresses me out haha!

No advice here as I'm also another new chick mom in a hot climate (hint: googling 'chick hot weather' does not primarily yield chicken related results 😆), just joining the convo to see what input you get. We've been taking our babies out for a little while each morning or evening, depending on temps and my work schedule, and this evening they happily stayed out for over an hour maybe two. I think they're a week and a day old.

@karabeth05 Hi! I think I saw where you had posted this question, too....? Not many answers, even on the web (lots of returns for “chick hot weather” 🤣). All I can find is “don’t coop train over 70 degrees”, but no further instruction! So glad igorsmistress replied and I know someone has done it successfully ☺️ I put in my order for these chicks (a lifelong dream) in January to be delivered in June, since we had a Disney trip planned...clearly, we didn’t go haha. I would’ve gotten them sooner, if I could have. This is a bit nerve-wracking, but I’m going to start taking them outside soon. Only half of them use the brooder plate really, so I think they’re beginning to regulate their temps better. Thanks for your reply. Hoping I don’t lose any to our crazy heat 😩 Where do you live?

@irwinversion and @karabeth05,

Hi! It's actually been a little cooler at night here than was originally forecasted, so we're sticking to keeping the chicks in their brooder at night for now, but taking them out during the day and letting them hang out in a mini-run for at least an hour or two. We're avoiding putting them in direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day and so far they seem totally fine. I added some electrolytes to their water after their longest, hottest outdoor session the other day just because I figured it wouldn't hurt. I think we're just going to keep increasing their outside time gradually and keep an eye on feather development-- I know a lot can happen in just a couple of weeks at this stage. Happy to keep y'all in the loop since I'm a couple weeks ahead of you!

Jeez, I am raising my second batch of chicks right in the coop for the year and its 97 degrees out. I raised my first batch of 2020 when it was 20 degrees out. Using a Mama Heat Pad. I think you have bad information on both ends (not moving out when "too cold" or when "too hot"). They are outdoor animals. Have great ventilation and shade and it will take care of itself.

Jeez, I am raising my second batch of chicks right in the coop for the year and its 97 degrees out. I raised my first batch of 2020 when it was 20 degrees out. Using a Mama Heat Pad. I think you have bad information on both ends (not moving out when "too cold" or when "too hot"). They are outdoor animals. Have great ventilation and shade and it will take care of itself.
I agree! I have seen the "magic temperature" rule come up in multiple sources with no real explanation or satisfying answer for why, so I was just curious about it. I figure that people all over the world in just about every climate have been raising chickens for a long time, so there are certainly many exceptions to the rule. Thank you!

@karabeth05 Hi! I think I saw where you had posted this question, too....? Not many answers, even on the web (lots of returns for “chick hot weather” 🤣). All I can find is “don’t coop train over 70 degrees”, but no further instruction! So glad igorsmistress replied and I know someone has done it successfully ☺ I put in my order for these chicks (a lifelong dream) in January to be delivered in June, since we had a Disney trip planned...clearly, we didn’t go haha. I would’ve gotten them sooner, if I could have. This is a bit nerve-wracking, but I’m going to start taking them outside soon. Only half of them use the brooder plate really, so I think they’re beginning to regulate their temps better. Thanks for your reply. Hoping I don’t lose any to our crazy heat 😩 Where do you live?
Mine are 3 weeks old today, and I'm worried about temp in their coop after I close them up at night....we are in Texas

Mine are 3 weeks old today, and I'm worried about temp in their coop after I close them up at night....we are in Texas
Mine were 3wks on Monday and I’m letting them spend the night (with the brooder plate and some nice holiday Christmas lights haha) in their coop for the first time tonight. They’ve been in the 70-75 degree house and rarely use the plate, so I figure the 66° tonight will be ok. Not sure what yalls weather is in TX this next week, but ours is high 80s/low 90s with varying humidity, so I’m planning to keep watching them and adjust, as needed. I had every plan to acclimate them to the heat, but then the weather got “cooler,” so I decided now’s the time 🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom