Can Keeping Backyard Chickens Kill you??

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,

Background...

I have 17 BO's that are about 3 years old.
They get fresh water and food daily, plus treats.
They free range in my backyard eating fresh goodies
I use deep litter method in a coop with a wooden floor, I do a complete cleaning once a year.
I worm them yearly and dust them.
All in all I say I take very good care of my girls to the point of spoiling them.

I post this thread because I came in contact with someone who said that owning chickens
can make you sick if not kill you. He sited all the diseases that they can carry and
the chores of cleaning the coop and pen can be hazardous to you health.
He does have a condition that he said his dr calls chicken coop disease which
results in a bad cough and lung problems. He did at one point work at a chicken
farm which he says the illness came from.

Now I am concerned and a bit confused on what position I should take in dealing with my girls.
In a nut shell, I am a little bit scared.

Those who have kept chicness for a long time or been around them for most of their lives,
is this something that I should worry about. Should I fear for my health because I own
backyard chickens.

Thanks

Here is a pic of my set up, if it is helpful.

I guess they can kill you my grandparents and their parents and their parents raised chickens and they are all dead, But it could be because they all where in their 80's and had some sort of health problems that killed them too (cancer, heart problems, dementia, the list goes on).... But as far as I can tell on my limited research the leading cause of death is being born, I have yet came across anyone whom died whom was not born first,,,,,

If he worked in a commercial facility a long time ago, I'm not at all surprised he has lung issues. I lived not far from some commercial places in high school and the ammonia fumes would make your eyes water from the property line...can't imagine how bad they were in the sealed buildings! Not sure how helpful it is to hear things like that my grandparents are in their mid80s & have had chickens for a good chunk of that time since people have the same stories about smokers :lol: BUT what I would think about is how very very few people have gotten sick from having chickens relative to the number of people who haven't. Afterall, pretty much anything can make you sick under the right conditions...even drinking too much water! So you have to look at your odds. It looks like you have clean, well-ventilated facilities & healthy birds so I'm sure you'll be fine.

I've heard that called "farmers" lung, and yes, being around dusty conditions for long periods of time can kill you, but certainty not a backyard coop! I rescue pigeons, who are renowned for being horrible disease carriers. For the first few birds I religiously washed my hands and sanitized, now I don't even bother. Can they carry salmonela and ecoli? Yes, but you would literally have to consume their fecal matter.

If your worried wear a respirator when you clean your coop (I personally don't) and wash your hands after handling, but you're fine. I've had chickens march across my chicken counter and take sips of my beer cup! I believe people are far too concerned about bird related diseases. The people that get sick are generally those who are mentally unwell or not aware that there is some kind of fecal contamination, or under some sort of infestation (which is a way you could look at purdue style production, a concentrated filth.

I want to thank you all for your thoughts and opinions.
But, I think we need to go back to the origional subject at hand.

I don't want this thread to get shut down and points
docked against me for talking about animal welfare.

thanks again all.

Hi All,

Background...

I have 17 BO's that are about 3 years old.
They get fresh water and food daily, plus treats.
They free range in my backyard eating fresh goodies
I use deep litter method in a coop with a wooden floor, I do a complete cleaning once a year.
I worm them yearly and dust them.
All in all I say I take very good care of my girls to the point of spoiling them.

I post this thread because I came in contact with someone who said that owning chickens
can make you sick if not kill you. He sited all the diseases that they can carry and
the chores of cleaning the coop and pen can be hazardous to you health.
He does have a condition that he said his dr calls chicken coop disease which
results in a bad cough and lung problems. He did at one point work at a chicken
farm which he says the illness came from.

Now I am concerned and a bit confused on what position I should take in dealing with my girls.
In a nut shell, I am a little bit scared.

Those who have kept chicness for a long time or been around them for most of their lives,
is this something that I should worry about. Should I fear for my health because I own
backyard chickens.

No, keeping chickens will not kill you or make you sick. I've been keeping chickens for 37 yrs and no, this is not something you should worry about. That one person worked in a vastly different environment than your chicken coop and he did it daily, where as you use deep litter that you only clean out once a year. Sleep easy, you will not sicken and die from your chickens.

My dad has owned chickens for all his life and he still has the strongest lungs I know of. Me, I have had asthma but that happens only when I am to active in cold weather, nothing to do with chickens. We own a big chicken place with layers and bantams and we have yet to become sick. I hope that helps you a little bit at least.
smile.png

If this was the case me and my grandparents and most of our neighbors would have been gone long ago. I'm sure you get the freak happening of a hen catching a disease, but mice are known to carry hanta virus and I bet you have more of those around than you think.
smile.png

Maybe he should have used a respirator, because chickens can produce a lot of dust. Also, chickens can only be carriers for diseases which most other common birds that fly around and crap on our cars carry...so the answer is a resounding NO. It is smart to use precautions when in an environment that houses chickens, but they are not lethal.

Back
Top Bottom