Can layer feed hurt 12 week old Orpingtons?

How young is too young for oyster shell?
hu.gif

One book says that the minerals in the layer feed can cause kidney failure in younger birds. Most resources also mention the additional need for calcium.

You probably don't need to start feeding them until they start laying, for if they're not laying then they don't need the extra calcium, and so it has to be filtered out by their kidneys, which causes damage.

I have been feeding my 9 week olds layers, when they leave the baby hut, for two years. Never had a problem yet. Is it really that bad ? Am I hurting them?
sad.png
Feed is so expensive here to be buying so many varieties !

Last edited:
i put out chick feed for the chicks, the hens eat it, layer for the old gals, the chicks eat it.... chickens eat anything...... and they always grow just fine.... "my kid eats off the adult menu, will it kill him?" no

We are feeding unmedicated starter. Our chicks ages are 15-22 weeks old. Only 2 chicks are 15 weeks that can not have the added calcium. I offer oyster shell to the older chicks daily. I need to take the oyster shell out, so the younger two don't eat any. It's a pain, but I don't want potential kidney damage.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom