Can maggots survive if there is no cut or wound?

Here s a picture of him while we were cleaning him today. I realized that the problem is his bum leg, because he cannot move around on that leg and he stays in one spot pooping

On the picture below here, this area looks like it is skinning over

I'm suspecting roost problems here. I've experimented with different sizes and shapes of roosts over the years and heights of them. I've even read studies about roosts. Birds put more weight on the keel (breast) bone than on foot pads when roosting. Too narrow a roost can create abrasions in addition to fractures of this bone, like what is seen in the pictures you provided. Also, the elevation of roosts can cause injuries to heavier breeds, if too high, from jumping down off of them. I suspect discomfort from this may have caused an infection/stress/intestinal issues, and that is what you may be dealing with.

Last edited:
I'm suspecting roost problems here. I've experimented with different sizes and shapes of roosts over the years and heights of them. I've even read studies about roosts. Birds put more weight on the keel (breast) bone than on foot pads when roosting. Too narrow a roost can create abrasions in addition to fractures of this bone, like what is seen in the pictures you provided. Also, the elevation of roosts can cause injuries to heavier breeds, if too high, from jumping down off of them. I suspect discomfort from this may have caused an infection/stress/intestinal issues, and that is what you may be dealing with.
We do not have a roost for them
hide.gif
. They are just on the floor of the coop. So you think that the injury on his chest may be a blister from not having any roost to be on? Should I put in a wood pipe for them to be on?

I had an issue a few wks ago with a chicken who had a clump of poo stuck around vent which attracted flies that laid eggs in there and made an awful smell. We trimmed the feathers around that area and saw tiny maggots around the vent even though there was no open wound. Your photos look like there's an open wound but if there weren't I would think it was flystrike. We resolved the issue by cleaning her up as best we could then spraying her butt with prozap. That took care of the issue. If yours has an open wound that's probably where the maggots are coming from.

I had an issue a few wks ago with a chicken who had a clump of poo stuck around vent which attracted flies that laid eggs in there and made an awful smell. We trimmed the feathers around that area and saw tiny maggots around the vent even though there was no open wound. Your photos look like there's an open wound but if there weren't I would think it was flystrike. We resolved the issue by cleaning her up as best we could then spraying her butt with prozap. That took care of the issue. If yours has an open wound that's probably where the maggots are coming from.
I dont see an open wound, I think the red sore on his chest is just a blister from not having a roost, and there was not a concentration of maggots there. Do you think that the brown area, the 2nd pic from the top, is the wound? I just checked him, and the maggots are still there
hit.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
barnie.gif
! what do I do? Do I keep trying to take out the maggots? If his leg is injured, I think he may have to go....

We do not have a roost for them
hide.gif
. They are just on the floor of the coop. So you think that the injury on his chest may be a blister from not having any roost to be on? Should I put in a wood pipe for them to be on?

This article is informative about roosts: http://www.yourchickens.co.uk/care-and-advice/the_perfect_perch_1_2842822

2x2 or 2x4 wood roosts turned 2" side up work well, provided the corners are filed down and sanded well to prevent splinters from birds shuffling around on roosts. For LF, I set roosts at an elevation of 18" and use a thick layer of pine shavings on the floor of the coop.

Last edited:
I dont see an open wound, I think the red sore on his chest is just a blister from not having a roost, and there was not a concentration of maggots there. Do you think that the brown area, the 2nd pic from the top, is the wound? I just checked him, and the maggots are still there
hit.gif
he.gif
somad.gif
barnie.gif
! what do I do? Do I keep trying to take out the maggots? If his leg is injured, I think he may have to go....

Do what I told you to do! Flush the vent out with an enema until you see no maggots expelled. If a wound outside the vent is harboring maggots, spray it with the screw worm aerosol I mentioned. Use a shower spray to flush out the area infested. If it is not too late, the bird will recover.

Yeah, but his leg is injured! He can not recover without his leg... Do chickens with fly strike stand up while they are swarming with maggots? I think that I need to put him down with peroxide and baking soda.

I'm going to agree with Michael that you should flush out the maggots and spray with a screw worm aerosol. I know it looks awful but I think your bird can recover. Mine did despite the horror I felt when I saw her vent crawling with tiny maggots.

Back
Top Bottom