Can My Chickens Eat Large Bird Food?

Chick2002

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
Wisconsin
Hello! I have been wondering if my chickens can eat large bird food (like parrot or macaw food). My sister-in-law works at this place with birds and other animals, and the birds leave a lot of food un-eaten. She just throws it away after since she can't reuse it according to the rules. Would this be okay for them? Thanks for any help!
smile.png

I'm curious about this too because I have a lot of old bird food from my lovie and if it's not moldy I was gonna try to feed it to them, it includes black (oil?) sunflower seeds, buckwheat, and that colorful pellet food?

I wouldn't for a couple of reasons. Sharing left-over feed that other birds have had contact with? Exposing my flock to them isn't wise. And it won't be a balanced diet, just left-overs. I want my birds to eat a fresh balanced diet; it's worth the cost to me. mary

If disease is not considered a problem, than I see no issues so long as you do not dilute an otherwise balanced diet. My birds can readily consume whole field corn and even smaller oak acorns with issue. They can also eat sizable mice, lizards, snakes and small birds without dismembering which give insight into what they can swallow.

I suppose... I don't know if they have any disease at all, so I won't take any chances. And I was thinking just as a little snack. And it isn't the leftover shells at all, but food that the birds don't eat. I believe they only leave the food in with the birds for a day. I don't know though... Thanks though! That is why I posted!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom