Can my chicks go outside.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jstinsmommy, Nov 2, 2013.

1. jstinsmommy

jstinsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    I have an 11 week old buff orphington, and a 12 week old white Plymouth Rock. The coop has solid sides except wiring just along the top. It has an open wire door. It is suppose to get into the 40's tonight. They are fully feathered. Do you think they will be ok?

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    If they are fully feathered they will be just fine. My experience is (as long as they are fully feathered) they take the cold much better than the heat.

3. jstinsmommy

jstinsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Thank you so much. I always think because the still seem so small that it will be too cold. I feel better. Thanks. :)

4. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    They will be good.

5. mamacita0804

mamacita0804 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    Celeste, TX
    I have 7 week old chicks that I just put outside, my coop not set up, so I put dog crate w solid sides into run filled w cedar chips. Well all 8 babies chose to be in the grass together instead of the 'warm' dog house and I don't think I've seen them this happy ..

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Did you know that cedar chips can be toxic to animals if they are in an enclosed type area?
    Please post photos of your pretties when you can.

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

cedar chips are toxic!!!Please use a different bedding material!! The Farm stores sell bags of pine shavings really cheap. Tractor supply sells them for 4 dollars for a huge bag. You can get them in course or fine. I would change out her shavings asap into Pine to be safe. Just trying to help.

8. mamacita0804

mamacita0804 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2013
    Celeste, TX
    Sorry bout that y'all :). I meant pine shavings. I had cedar in the brain- I am using pine shavings. The dog crate has vents on top and I took off the front door - they go inside it to scratch then come right back outside.

9. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Yes they will be perfectly okay as long as they are fully feathered. 40 degrees isn't really that cold to a chicken, as long as you have a place where they can get out of the wind and weather, they will be okay. They have big fluffy down coats! :)

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Does this mean your coop has no roof? Or just a strip of wire for ventilation?

Your birds are fully feathered. They'd be fine down to -20 degrees. 40 is nothing to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by