Can my coop be my brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Avonlea22, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    I'm expecting my first ever baby chicks to arrive next Wednesday. I've been building a coop, and it's almost done. Can I use the coop as the brooder? I'm currently set up with a quite large rubbermaid storage container, but I was thinking after the first few days, why couldn't I just move them to the coop and keep everything closed? Any thoughts on this?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I don't see any reason not to as long as you have power where you can run a heat lamp!!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Your coop would be an excellent brooder, especially if you have a Brinsea EcoGlow brooder heater! No heat lamps, no fear of fire or overheating the chicks. They just go under the heat panel to snuggle for warmth, and come out to run around. Self service temperature control! (I will never use heat lamps again.)

Just make sure there are no cold drafts on the chicks.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Absolutely. I brood out in the barn. All the smells, dust and noise are outside, where my wife insists they belong. [​IMG]

Multiple heat lamps work best for me. Three, in fact. All with different wattages which allow me to maintain a proper, but not too hot temperature. I use a utility trailer that is 5x8 so they have lots of room to play and self-regulate their own heat by being, or not being under the lamp.

[​IMG]

5. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    Quote:I sure do.

Thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by