Can my ducklings go outside?

DaphneTheDuck

Chirping
Jan 3, 2020
London UK
I have 2, 3 and 1/2 week old ducklings and I was wandering whether they can live outside? We have 3 chickens and one duck already out there and I don't want them to pick on the ducklings plus its raining a bit these past few days.
Thanks

I have 2, 3 and 1/2 week old ducklings and I was wandering whether they can live outside? We have 3 chickens and one duck already out there and I don't want them to pick on the ducklings plus its raining a bit these past few days.
Thanks
What's the temps where you live? I wouldn't just like put them free ranging in your backyard. 3 1/2 weeks they probably aren't feathered yet. If you can put them in a seperate pen with supplemental heat at night, free from drafts, then yes. Otherwise, probably not.

What's the temps where you live? I wouldn't just like put them free ranging in your backyard. 3 1/2 weeks they probably aren't feathered yet. If you can put them in a seperate pen with supplemental heat at night, free from drafts, then yes. Otherwise, probably not.
This is them. We can't get heat outside sadly and the temperature at night is roughly 9°c and lots of rain is forecast.
JPEG_20200607_084647_6348226652329215243.jpg

I'd say they're too young to permanently move outside. Without their proper feathers they'll get soaked and chilled when it's raining, and the adult bird may be mean to them too.

You can put them out supervised during daytime though, when the weather's nice. It's good for them to see new things and eat some grass. Either use a big wire crate without a bottom or make something yourself.

I'd say they're too young to permanently move outside. Without their proper feathers they'll get soaked and chilled when it's raining, and the adult bird may be mean to them too.

You can put them out supervised during daytime though, when the weather's nice. It's good for them to see new things and eat some grass. Either use a big wire crate without a bottom or make something yourself.
We have no grass the duck destroyed it all lol and thanks for the suggestion

What age could they go out and when are they water proof?
7-8 weeks if they are feathered. I don't remember when their oil gland starts producing. You can give them supervised swims now if you dry them off after. I've heard that helps jumpstart oil production. It'll be after they get feathered.

Back
Top Bottom