Can my ducks free range in a lake and come home?

BackyardFarmer4

Songster
7 Years
Oct 10, 2013
Hello I have a flock of about 12 ducks. I live right on a lake and was wondering If I could let my ducks out and free range in the lake and if they would come home. There is other ducks in the lake if that would affect them coming home or not. Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

My ducks and geese walk next door to the pond and then come home to eat at night. I guess it would depend on what kind you have, how long they have lived with you and how upset you would be if they didnt come home! My feeling is that if you have had them for a while they know where they live. But also be aware of the fact that other wild fowl might carry some diseases that yours have not been exposed to and they might bring it home.
Big decision! Good luck! TerriO

I've had my ducks since they were babies and there about 7-8 months old my 2 geese are about 2 years and I've had them for 6 months or so. they have a big run and go to the coop every night. the wild ducks and geese im to worried with disease not sure why but im not. the wild geese are across the lake and the ducks (mallards) come right up and almost eat out of my hand and they have been interacting with my ducks through the fence. im just worried if they would come home if I let them out it wouldn't devastate me if they didn't but I would rather them come home. I have 1 Pekin 1 Rouen and 9 Khaki Campbell's 1 of the Khakis are a drake the rest of my ducks are hens. Thanks for the info!

There's no way to know for sure, but probably. They're creatures of habit. If they're in the habit of being out during the day and going to their bed at night, they should continue. Mine do.

I'd probably spend time with them to make sure. Call them when it's late. Feed them close to bed. Put them to bed. That's the basically what I did and it worked

I agree with the above poster! No way else to tell but to try. You could let a couple out at a a time though...they would probably call the ones outside in at bedtime. Try feeding in the evening for a few days too...then they will know to come home for food,

Back
Top Bottom