Can My Ducks Get Sick???

pax12

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 7, 2008
PA
My ducks are almost 4 months old and been outside in the rain and are soaked in mud and water. It goes down to around 19 degrees tonight will my ducks be okay?? and I'm not sure if all the feathers are waterproof yet and I don't want to go down there tomorrow morning and see dead ducks... Am I fine or should I take them in and dry them off????

If you can, then yes I would bring them in for awhile to get dry. By 4 months, they should be waterproof. But they should not be "soaked" . Ducks are tough, strong creatures, and their resilience will surprise you, but that being said, they absolutely need a shelter to get into with deep bedding when it is cold. They don't need a heater, but my opinion is that they will be much more comfortable in sub-freezing temperatures if they are dry.

Last edited:
If you can, then yes I would bring them in for awhile to get dry. By 4 months, they should be waterproof. But they should not be "soaked" . Ducks are tough, strong creatures, and their resilience will surprise you, but that being said, they absolutely need a shelter to get into with deep bedding when it is cold. They don't need a heater, but my opinion is that they will be much more comfortable in sub-freezing temperatures if they are dry.
I agree do they have shelter?
if so put them inside out of the elements. if they can snuggle down into some dry bedding they will be much happier.

Sometimes ducks get soaked instead of shedding water, and their diet has something to do with that. I have been adding flax meal to my runners' feed for a few months, and see that their feather condition and ability to shed water is better.

Bring them in, they need some shelter.

They have a really nice place I built them in the summer and they seem to be doing great now!! Thanks Everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom