Can my ducks sleep outside in the summer

Aylesburyduck123

Hatching
Jul 4, 2021
Good morning everyone! My ducks are now 7 weeks old! They have a lovely house and a beautiful large enclosure which is very secure and I was just asking if the ducks would be ok if left outside all night (of course they would have access to their house all day/night) we have a few very warm evenings coming up and wondered if they’d be ok if I didn’t put them to bed at night? Just let them go in their house as and when they feel like it?

no. ducks always need to be in a safe predator proof area to sleep. literally ANYTHING will eat them, even if they sleep on a pond. if you leave your ducks outside at night they will eventually be killed, don’t do it.

I've never had a duck that had a house to live in. They spend the night on the edge of a pond so they can make a quick get-away if needed.
Sounds lovely but we don’t have a pond. They have a pool in their enclosure. I think it’s important to have a house especially backyard ducks that don’t have access to a large pond as they would be more secure.

no. ducks always need to be in a safe predator proof area to sleep. literally ANYTHING will eat them, even if they sleep on a pond. if you leave your ducks outside at night they will eventually be killed, don’t do it.
I think people are misreading me message. They would be in their secure enclosure just not in their house. My question was to see if they’d be ok spending the night in their enclosure and not being put to bed at night.

My ducks don't have a house, per se. They live year round in a fairly open, remodeled chicken tractor, totally wrapped in hardware cloth. In the winter, I put up some plywood "walls" and the top is partially covered.

So, as long as they are safe from predators, I think they will fare fine.

Back
Top Bottom