1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can my hens eat leftover salisbury steak with onions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by goldeneggtees, Mar 16, 2011.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, do you think they'd be ok with leftover salisbury steak, it has the lipton's onion soup mix, mixed in with the meat. it wasn't a hit with the family but i figured why waste it? might as well feed the hens. but if it's dangerous for them, forget it, it'll go in the garbage. [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Dang...that sounds good to ME!! [​IMG] I don't know that the chickens would get any of that (but yes - they can have just about any leftover that humans typically eat). Good protein...

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    It will be high in salt content from the onion soup mix but I doubt it would be enough to be a problem. Good protein and they will love it.

4. gdplum

gdplum Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Tulsa
    ....chickens will eat anything....and drink water from any puddle....dont worry....

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

mine refuse to eat things like onions, broccoli, banana peels etc. i give them everything, and so far (knock on wood) they've managed to not eat anything bad for them.

6. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:I wouldn't risk it because I know how toxic onions, even food that's been cooked with onions is. Our pomeranian ended up with a $500 vet bill when he had to go to the emergency clinic after eating leftovers from a dish that had traces of onions in it. My stupid mistake. But I am very, very cautious about what our animals ingest now. It was an expensive and scary lesson.

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

They can eat it and will thank you for it. Chickens and dogs are different ~ dogs are not supposed to eat onions or raisins which are OK for chickens.

8. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for all the replies, they will be happy hens tomorrow! I'll only give them a little at a time.

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It's perfectly fine for them. I routinely feed table scraps--anything left over or peelings from vegetables and fruits, whatever, goes in a bucket for the birds instead of the trash. At the end of the day, the bucket goes out to the coop and the birds go nuts.

I routinely feed onions, raisins, and garlic to dogs and cats with no ill effects. (My pets don't get commercial processed kibble or canned food)

10. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    I know the biggie is chocolate. We humans can digest it, most animals can't and to them, it's poison.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by