Can my meat birds eat Omega-3 layer feed?

Patchworkblue

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Howdy yall - I have 7 layers that eat the Omega-3-enriched layer feed that I pick up at Big R. I want to get some meat birds, maybe cornish game hens, can I raise them on the same food? It's not worth the trouble to me if I have to build a separate pen & run to keep them on their own food. I also let my chickens out in the back yard during the day, so there would be a lot of tresspassing and stealing the wrong food anyway.

Thanks1

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
Might want to look up meat birds some more.

Cornish game hens bought at the store as "cornish game hens" are really just 4 week old cornish x meat bird chicks. If you want to raise game hens, figure they will be in the brooder or in their own quarters for those 4 weeks anyway.

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
Layer pellets won't hurt them for the 8 weeks that they are alive. You might want to put them on higher protein if you want to see good growth out of them.

There is a coupon for that Omega feed in this months Poultry Press. I may see what the price is and I'll maybe buy a bag. One bag of different feed in their diet isn't going to hurt them.

Top Bottom