Can my new chicks get Marek's ?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Jun 8, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Well, I have a "flock" of two cochin hens, when one when broody I moved her to a raised rabbit hutch so she could incubate the fertile eggs I bought for her, she hatched them and I was wondering when I could put them in the coop with the other hen, when I had a scary thought CAN THE CHICKS CATCH MAREK's !!! The two hen I bought from Ideal poultry and i didn't get them vaccinated and they didn't catch it, and neither did any of the other chicks I had. So is there a possiblity the new chicks can catch marek's if i move them to the DIRT floor of the coop ??

2. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    I got the new chicks I ordered from IDEAL vaccinated for Marek's, but they haven't shipped yet

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    If Mareks is in your flock or on your property they can get it but judging from your post I don't think they will.

Mareks hits 5 month old birds harder than most others so it won't show for a while anyways.

I wouldn't worry about it.

4. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    oh good ! my hens are a year old... so I dont think I have it on the property...and im an outlaw chicken owner so there are no other chickens in the area

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by