Can my quail live beside chickens, ducks, or turkeys?

It is fine I have always had quail next to my Turkeys, ducks, chicken, guinea, pheasants all kind of stuff. I have never had a quail get sick.

I wouldn't recommend raising quails next to chickens or other poultry. I raise Coturnix on wire 4-5 feet off the ground and at least 15-20 feet from chickens. Remember if you do a good taking care of them it will pay back. Keep them clean. This is my own opinion.

I have had quail for 3 years now, and just got 4 chickens this spring. At one point this summer I was using a little rabbit hutch as a covered stand for my chicken's food/water inside their coop, then got a few extra quail unexpectedly and had to put them in that hutch until I could work something out for them more permanent. The hutch was bolted to the fence, so I just left it where it was in the coop and put the quail inside it, relocating the chicken food/water temporarily. Within 2 days, my formerly healthy quail had swollen red eyes and were not eating. I unbolted the hutch and moved them out of the coop and beside my other quail, and the next day they were completely back to normal.

My quail are maybe 20 feet away from the coop, and haven't had any issues since then. It just seems that if they are in direct contact with chickens they are 'weaker' and start looking bad. My chickens have been healthy the whole time (I raised them from 1 day old) and didn't pass anything along to the quail then or since... the quail just couldn't handle being in the same proximity as the chickens. Your mileage may vary, but I had plans to put them all in the one giant coop so that it would be easier in case they escaped and for feeding purposes, but there's no way I will combine them after that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom