Can My Rooster With Severe (Canker)trichomonosis Stay Alive ?

roberzie

Hatching
Jul 22, 2022
I grew up in the city and moved to the country three years ago were I found a baby rooster in a undeveloped lot by himself and caught him with a net and brought him home. He grew up to be a very large Rooster my wife named Crispy. At night we would bring him inside for protection from predators and put him in a large dog cage and let him out in the mornings. He would greet us when we got home until we fenced him in the back yard. Crispy has been a wonderful pet and my first Rooster. I recently noticed him opening his mouth wide and no longer making noise, I did not delay and got him to the vet. Xray showed his throat blocked and vet he confirmed trichomonosis and cleaned out as much as he could and sent him home with metrondazole. today is day 10 on the medicine and he still is lethargic and closes his eyes like sleeping standing. Vet says his keel bone has no meat on it and were feeding him corn, watermellon, bird seeds, meal worms, corn, bread, yogurt, poultry nutrient powder, blue berries and water with electrolytes and braggs vinegar. Crispy seems like he constantly tries to shake up the food and liquids cause him cough up more than food. The wife syringes water in his mouth and sometimes and he sometimes drinks from a feeder although I dont have the time to keep watching. we have been keeping him in quarantined and other days lets him out for a few hours. He doesn't seem to be getting any better and eating and drinking food causes him to want to try to heave it out. vet says prospects are not good and most of these guys starve to death. Has anybody any experience with this and has any roosters survive this? Any ideas how long it might take to get better if he does?

Video Rooster Eating

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail2.jpg
    thumbnail2.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I watched the video and he's a good looking rooster, Blue Wyandotte?
I have to agree with your vet. Birds with canker, even if treated and IF they survive, remain carriers of the disease for life.
The protozoa, lesions, are still in him and he will deteriorate further due to not being able to eat on his own.
I recommend that you cull him to end his suffering.

My guess is you forgot all about supplying grit when feeding him during his confinement, corn especially, and now he is suffering from a crop impaction from his food not being able to digest properly.

If he's still able to eat on his own, start giving him lots of coconut oil to soften the mass in his crop, massaging it if necessary, careful not to push the contents into his throat where he could aspirate them.

Tube feeding him would have been a safer method of feeding him during this illness. As it is now, he may be too far gone to save. He's had a good life he may not have had, had you not befriended him. Maybe it's time to let him go.

I watched the video and he's a good looking rooster, Blue Wyandotte?
I have to agree with your vet. Birds with canker, even if treated and IF they survive, remain carriers of the disease for life.
The protozoa, lesions, are still in him and he will deteriorate further due to not being able to eat on his own.
I recommend that you cull him to end his suffering.
I have always been curious of what type of Rooster he his, spend countless hours when I found him trying to identify the breed by looking at pictures online of similar colors and trying to use the comb.

My guess is you forgot all about supplying grit when feeding him during his confinement, corn especially, and now he is suffering from a crop impaction from his food not being able to digest properly.

If he's still able to eat on his own, start giving him lots of coconut oil to soften the mass in his crop, massaging it if necessary, careful not to push the contents into his throat where he could aspirate them.

Tube feeding him would have been a safer method of feeding him during this illness. As it is now, he may be too far gone to save. He's had a good life he may not have had, had you not befriended him. Maybe it's time to le

Attachments

• 20220723_120705.jpg
    20220723_120705.jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220723_120658.jpg
    20220723_120658.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 8
Heading to tractor supply now to get some grit. Put Crispy on the back outside porch this morning and found him hiding in the woods in the afternoon and left him alone and he returned to the porch. Brought him inside now for the night. Did a Weighted check this morning on my refrigeration scale at 4pds 6.5ozs, no idea what his weight was prior. I just posted some attractive poo pictures i found from him this morning. Im also Watching more youtube videos and reading to learn more about impacted crops.

Back
Top Bottom