1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can nest boxes be on floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sab, Jun 14, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    My sister said tonight that chickens won't lay in nests on the floor. We are just completing our coop. See photo. We put the nests under the poop board. What say you???

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sure, they can be on the floor. Some of mine have really loved milk crates on the floor from time to time.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sure can! Some of mine seem to prefer the floor [​IMG]

4. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Thanks! I argued they would but she's had chickens and I'm a newbie....
    Right now they go up a ladder in the chicken tractor to a top loft where it is dark all the time to lay in a nesting area at each end. So I thought putting these with enclosures on all sides but the front will be a more 'at home' feel for the birds. Not as snug but then they might like it not so snug..... or so me thinks....

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your set up is great.
    Leave it be and you'll find you can tell your sister... "Naa,Naa,Naa" (feel free to throw in a raspberry at this time too)

It's always fun to get one over on a sister

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I have my card board nest box on the floor. You just remember to put fake egg or golf ball in the box to train the hen.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I would have a hard time collecting eggs everyday. That's just me though.

8. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

My nest boxes are rubbermaid bins. I cut a hole in the side and turn them upside down right on the floor of the coop by the big door. All I have to do is life the back edge of the bin off the floor to check for eggs. My girls always have preferred a floor box.

Your coop is awesome!

Blessings-
    Em

9. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    My silkies nest boxes started out on the floor, I did slowly raise them enough so I could easily clean under them. Currently they are about 6 inches off the floor which is about as high as the silkies can/will go. I didn't like them directly on the floor because it was a pain to clean around them and the mice wanted to nest under or behind them.

Love the set-up you've got, the tile adds a nice touch [​IMG]

10. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice coop!

Where'd you get the nest boxes? I'm currently building my coop and looking for something like those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by