Can nest boxes be on floor?

sab

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Ripley, WV
My sister said tonight that chickens won't lay in nests on the floor. We are just completing our coop. See photo. We put the nests under the poop board. What say you???

64255_img_1259.jpg

Thanks! I argued they would but she's had chickens and I'm a newbie....
Right now they go up a ladder in the chicken tractor to a top loft where it is dark all the time to lay in a nesting area at each end. So I thought putting these with enclosures on all sides but the front will be a more 'at home' feel for the birds. Not as snug but then they might like it not so snug..... or so me thinks....

Your set up is great.
Leave it be and you'll find you can tell your sister... "Naa,Naa,Naa" (feel free to throw in a raspberry at this time too)

It's always fun to get one over on a sister

I have my card board nest box on the floor. You just remember to put fake egg or golf ball in the box to train the hen.

Last edited:
My nest boxes are rubbermaid bins. I cut a hole in the side and turn them upside down right on the floor of the coop by the big door. All I have to do is life the back edge of the bin off the floor to check for eggs. My girls always have preferred a floor box.

Your coop is awesome!

Blessings-
Em

My silkies nest boxes started out on the floor, I did slowly raise them enough so I could easily clean under them. Currently they are about 6 inches off the floor which is about as high as the silkies can/will go. I didn't like them directly on the floor because it was a pain to clean around them and the mice wanted to nest under or behind them.

Love the set-up you've got, the tile adds a nice touch
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom