Can new moms and babies be kept together?

Happy Chick Home

Chirping
Sep 15, 2022
New Mexico
New chicken mom. Last summer I borrowed a broody hen to raise 10 week old chicks. She did a great job, went home and hasn't been broody since. Now 3 grown up girls are sitting on eggs. The first hatched only one egg. She is a great mom. The next hen has 2 or 3 eggs and will be at day 21 soon. Can these hens and babies be kept together?
(The 3rd just started today - on 9 eggs. Oh my...)

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_101515576.jpg
    IMG_20230425_101515576.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 21
Yes, they can, until they can't. In my experience, broodies are like males in that aspect. One works great, multiples work until they don't.

You can certainly try it out, I've had multiples work far more often than not, but the risk is still there

Depends on the relationship between those hens and their parenting styles. Some broodies are super defensive/aggressive. Some can tolerate each other. Some love to co-parent. Others will kill chicks that aren't theirs.

My broody will let certain flock mates into her space to eat the chick starter food. (Her friend Peach is an approved guest) But any of our 10 week old pullets that come near her get their asses handed to them. Same with the dog, who is a livestock guardian and who this hen has known her entire life. Now she goes into broody dinosaur attack mode if the dog is just walking by in the yard.

Different broodies respond differently. I have had broodies co parent, but more often than not a broody will attack the other hen or attack the other chicks.

Back
Top Bottom