Can newly hatched chicks survive with the two mama hens who hatched them out?

Momsbusiness

Chirping
Jul 7, 2018
I put 6 Brahma hen eggs under my broody bantam hen in the coup. There are only f
4 bantam hewn in there. Before long one ofmy other broody bantam was laying on them to help her.
This evening I heard the peeping. I checked and saw the shells of an egg under one hen. Both hands are still together and all seems peaceful. I feel comfortable leaving them all together for the night as my plan was to remove either the green and chicks to another small hen house site to watch a mama hen(s) raise some chicks. Should I leave them alone as have or move them tonight?

Hello!

Two of my silkies recently hatched eggs together and now both share the chicks. I think they will likely be fine, but just watch them closely to make sure no one gets hurt. :)

I put 6 Brahma hen eggs under my broody bantam hen in the coup. There are only f
4 bantam hewn in there. Before long one ofmy other broody bantam was laying on them to help her.
This evening I heard the peeping. I checked and saw the shells of an egg under one hen. Both hands are still together and all seems peaceful. I feel comfortable leaving them all together for the night as my plan was to remove either the green and chicks to another small hen house site to watch a mama hen(s) raise some chicks. Should I leave them alone as have or move them tonight?
I shoved 4 chicks under my two co-broody silkies (3 silkie chicks and one non silkie chick).

They are now 5 weeks old and the two mamas are still brooding them. First time raising chicks and they are doing a great job.

Hello!

Two of my silkies recently hatched eggs together and now both share the chicks. I think they will likely be fine, but just watch them closely to make sure no one gets hurt. :)
Thanks. My husband said I should I put them in a brooder box to keep them safe. I know I could but that was not the plan for these eggs. I feel pretty comfortable they will be okay for the night . My only concern is that the chicks might fall out of the nest. Should I try to prevent that or will they not be wandering this early?

I shoved 4 chicks under my two co-broody silkies (3 silkie chicks and one non silkie chick).

They are now 5 weeks old and the two mamas are still brooding them. First time raising chicks and they are doing a great job.
That's awesome!! Thanks for the encouragement.

Attachments

• IMG_20230603_125458.jpg
    IMG_20230603_125458.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 11
One of my new chicks above this morning. They did fine together through night. Two hatched so far. So I moved the little family this afternoon.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230603-172105.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230603-172105.jpg
    748.7 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom