can older chickens get cocci?

holyhart

Songster
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
New Hampshire
When I was letting my 3 older ladies out this morning, one of them had a very squirty, liquidy and bloody poop just as she walked outside. Could that be cocci? Or do you think it is something else? Could she be egg bound? These ladies are a year old and have been laying for a few months now (regularly, they didn't lay very well this winter).

Help! What should I do?

Treat for cocci ASAP. It is a common myth that older birds cannot get cocci. They can get it. I first treated my flock for cocci when they were 2.5 y.o. The weather had been particularly wet that year and they all got overloaded. I opened the coop up one morning and it looked like something had been slaughtered in there...there was so much blood. A course of Sulmet cleaned them up in no time.

Good luck.

Sulmet is sold at Tractor Supply right? Is this something that I just add to their water? And should treat all of them right? I know it isn't "contagious", but if one has it, it is possible others will, but not be showing signs yet is my understanding?

If one is showing signs then she is either particularly susceptible or they are all loaded with it. Better to be safe than sorry. If you can find Corid it is a better bang for your buck because you will not need to discard any eggs. There is an egg withdrawal time with Sulmet. You should be able to find one or the other at Tractor Supply. It is added to their water.

I didn't see the last post before I went to tractor supply, but as it worked out, they didn't have any sulmet and I bought cordid anyhow.

I have been treating them since Sunday. I have also been giving them some greek yogurt. This morning, the poop looks gelatinous, but not bloody. Is this a good sign? They all look like they are fine with the exception of the poo. Also, how long do I treat them? Do I treat the young ones for the same amount of time?

Thanks so much!

I see you are also from NH....I live in Pembroke....nice to "meet" a neighbor.

Corid 20% soluable powder dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The poops no longer showing blood is a good sign.

Nice to meet you. I live in the Keene-Sullivan area. How did you fare in the flash floods we had last week? With all this weird weather we've been having it's no wonder your birds have cocci. It could stop raining any time now...any...time...now. Sigh.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help!

We've been soggy, but no flash floods here. We live on a hill, so we generally fare well anyhow. My sister lives in Keene and just bought a new house about a month ago. She had some mild flooding. Nothing in her house, but some water into the garage and car port. Some of the boxes that hadn't been taken care of yet had damage, but nothing major. How did you fare?

I'm with you...I could deal with a little less rain at this point! This keeps up, we may need to start building an ark!

No flooding in the house, but we had some damage in the yard. We lost part of a hill next to the house. My deck stairs were just hanging in the air a few days back. We fared pretty well considering.

Today is day 5 of treating with corid. Everything looks fine in the poop department. Should I continue for another day or two or should today be the last day of treatment?

Back
Top Bottom