Can one breed of chicken hatch a different breed?

rentajohn

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 9, 2012
So I just purchased my first 3 chickens (1 barred rock, 1 RIR, 1 australorp) and the seller made a statement that I need some help understanding. All the chickens i purchased (approximately 5-6 months old now) as well as maybe a dozen others, hatched at the same time. Same time, same hen, same rooster, producing at least 4 different breeds. How is this possible? I know labs can give birth to puppies of different colors, is this the same principle? Thanks in advance for any insight you guys have.

WelcometoBYC.gif
. Sorry I can't answer your question I'm confused as well.
hmm.png

welcome-byc.gif
- No, it is not true. You can have two different breeds make a variety of mutts/hybrids from the same pair, or two mutts/hybrids make a big variety from the same pair, but a breed breeds true. Both in color and in type. A breed can come in different colors, but you don't get a bunch of colors from one same pairing. If you had the same rooster and the same hens all of one breed produce chicks, all the chicks should turn out relatively the same, unless your parents were mutts or of different colors.

people use broodies to hatch out all sorts of different breeds example a silkie hen hatching out some bo, d'uccle, her own eggs, and bantam brahama. now as for that statement it seems like the seller is saying one hen with one rooster getting 4 different breeds from one single pair, that is not possable

A broody hen can hatch any other chickens eggs but one hen and one rooster bred together can not make 4 different breeds of chick.

Back
Top Bottom