Can one chicken make it alone for a while after a tragedy?

chickkelly

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
Yesterday my 3 hens were all killed in a dog attack, happily one hid in the woods and is back in her coup. I don't know what to do, she has been walking about her run crowing and I think crying. She is all alone, I do have 4 2 week old chicks in my basement but they can't go outside till they are 6 weeks old. Is there any thing I can do?

It isn't wise to assign human type emotions to a chicken as they are wired up differently.

If you have such a situation, I've found it best to spoil the remaining bird. Give her lots of time around you. You'll have to do for a "companion" as their is no other flock for her right now. It's going to be awhile and those juveniles in your basement is not what she's looking for in flock mates. They won't be her size for many, many more weeks.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your birds.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Had my first predator loss yesterday and it is rough. I do think chickens have emotions although I have no idea exactly what they are. I do know that chickens do not like to be alone so you are not imaging that she is upset. She is also still probably spooked and feels unsafe. A few of my most standoffish hens came and sat in my lap yesterday. I was quite surprised. Your hen is spooked She needs lots of attention and to see you around. Her whole world just dramatically changed and she probably does not feel safe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom