1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can orientals handle cold weather?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pringle, Feb 13, 2011.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Hey,not to sure were to put this but I really like the ways oriental game fowl look like.I have golden phoinex hen who sorta looks like them and I love her.I am going to be ordering ducks from Ideal anyways so I thought I could throw in a few pullets with them.So anyway I live in MA and it gets down to maybe -2 some nights during the winter time.I really want to have maybe 2 cubalayas, 1 shamo, and 1 aseel.Will they be ok during the winter time in there coop?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you have heat lamps, I would highly recommend using them. And if you can cover your run or line it with visqueen, I highly recommend that too.

It rarely gets freezing cold out here, but never gets hot either, so really, our climate is pretty cold for Shamos, however they fair pretty well in it. As for your area, I think in order for healthy birds you really need to help them along. [​IMG] Generally speaking, they are not cold hardy.

3. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Cubalayas are not hard feathered, and they will be fine in your climate. For the shamo and asil, make sure that their perches are wide enough so they can keep keep their toes covered. If you use a small perch, their exposed toes can freeze due to the lack of fluff covering them. Plenty of people keep hard feathered breeds in very cold climates without heat. Keep them dry, out of the wind, and give them wide perches.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I have orientals and when the windchill got down to -35 and such I did loose some birds...young ones mostly. This last round of really cold plus snow though wasn't bad on me...it wasn't as windy or as cold though. It can be done. The older birds did fine. I did but out tarps to cut the wind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by