Can oyster shells get wet?

I use Oyster shell in my fish tanks to harden/maintain the PH of the water. If put in the filter, forcing water through, it dissolves faster than if put on/in the substrate. A spoon full in the filter will last about a month, sometimes longer, it depends on how low the PH is and the flow rate of the filter. It doesn't dissolve if the PH is higher. In my case I have planted tanks, and wood in them. If put in/on the substrate it lasts months.
Rain water has a lower PH, so it does dissolve, but very slowly... your chooks will eat it long before it disappears

I use Oyster shell in my fish tanks to harden/maintain the PH of the water. If put in the filter, forcing water through, it dissolves faster than if put on/in the substrate. A spoon full in the filter will last about a month, sometimes longer, it depends on how low the PH is and the flow rate of the filter. It doesn't dissolve if the PH is higher. In my case I have planted tanks, and wood in them. If put in/on the substrate it lasts months.
Rain water has a lower PH, so it does dissolve, but very slowly... your chooks will eat it long before it disappears
I was just going to say this. From owning a fish tank I too know that oyster shells dissolve in water over time and change its pH. Snail shells do, too. So the fact that those creatures live in water doesn't really mean much. Aquatic snails need to be provided with a source of calcium to eat and make up for the thinning/dissolving shells. Shouldn't be a problem with oyster shells for chickens as long as the bowl is always full. A small plant pot with holes on the bottom works great, to avoid it filling up with water.

What absolutely cannot get wet is the other common source of calcium for chickens - eggshells. Any egg residue left on them will go bad and STINK. Learned that the hard way... Now my bowl of eggshells is inside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom