Can oyster shells get wet?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Was just doing some scrolling around here and I saw someone mention in passing that oyster shells need to be kept dry because they lose calcium when wet. No one commented further on that so im
Not sure if this is fact. I have mine in a small dish but it definitely gets soaked when it rains. Do I need to use a more weather proof system for the shells?

I am sure like most things a persistent drip drip of water will wear down the shell, but it certainly doesn’t dissolve so it can safely get wet.
It rains, the dish fills with water, then I go out and dump the water when the rain stops. Same with their dish of grit. So the shells soak in water for a bit but I empty it whenever I go out there.

It rains, the dish fills with water, then I go out and dump the water when the rain stops. Same with their dish of grit. So the shells soak in water for a bit but I empty it whenever I go out there.
Totally fine.
Of course if you had a dish with holes in the bottom you could save yourself the effort!

The shells will very slowly dissolve into the water. the speed they dissolve depends on how acidic the water is. The calcium dissolving is not going to leave you calcium-less oyster shells or anything they will just slowly become smaller. you can see this damage in see creatures in acidified water in the tiny holes in their shells.

Was just doing some scrolling around here and I saw someone mention in passing that oyster shells need to be kept dry because they lose calcium when wet. No one commented further on that so im
Not sure if this is fact. I have mine in a small dish but it definitely gets soaked when it rains. Do I need to use a more weather proof system for the shells?
They are oyster shells…… oysters live in water….. therefore, yes, they can get wet

Back
Top Bottom