Can parrots be trained to use the litter box like cats do?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by akd23237, Jun 16, 2008.

1. akd23237

akd23237 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    and what about chickens?

2. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    My Macaw poops on command. Cat litter is very bad for parrots. I assume it would be bad for chickens too.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Not litter box trained persay, but both my Quaker Parrot and my Umbrella Cockatoo poo on command over a trashcan or a towel, depending on where they are at. If I haven't offered them an opportunity to potty and my Quaker has to poo...or if she is sitting on me and doesn't want to poo on me lol.....she walks up to my ear looking VERY serious and says "Gotta go". [​IMG] That way, I can take her to the designated potty spot and she can go. It's pretty cute.

4. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    That's funny about your Quaker [​IMG] She's polite about it:)

My Hahns Macaw isn't. 1st he gets this look on his face and if I don't move towards the trash/towel, he blurts out "POOP". He also makes a squirt sound when he goes....his favorite trick to play on momma when he's on my head.
    I guess I just have rude boys b/c my 7yr old Scarlet macaw I got 4 months ago, loves to make farts and burp sounds. They sound like the real thing too...great when ya got company:/

5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] Oh TOOOOOOOO cute!

My U2 never pooped on me - but she liked to poop on the edge of the couch. At first she would walk over to her cage, climb up, and then poo while sitting on her door. But she thought that was too much of a hassle and if it had an edge to it, she wasn't shy abut squatting!

6. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I never did anything to train my African Gray girl to not poop on me but she figured it out. Well maybe I did do something. I bring her on my bed with me to play and she does not poop there.

When I first got her she did accidentally and I made a big fuss. I tapped her beak with my finger tip and said NO!

I immediately took her back to her cage. And while wiping it up and removing the sheets I made my disgust clear. They are smart animals so I think she figured it out on her own that pooping outside of her cage was not a good thing.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Our umbrella cockatoo can poop on command. When we take him out somewhere and are gonna go inside a building we hold him over a trash can and tell him 'go poo' and he does. Also when we have him out, we have a couple pieces of news paper behing his favorite spots and for example when he is sitting on my shoulder when I am sitting on the couch and he has to go he gets up and struts over to the edge over the paper and poops then comes back. So in a way he is potty trained.

8. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    My Quaker is trained to poop on my shoulder apparently. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by