Can pullets go broody

Chickhelper99

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2016
Can pullets go broody or does that happen when they get older? If one did go broody should i let her? Would she take care of the eggs ok?

I had one that went broody at 8 months, an Easter Egger. She sat diligently on her eggs, (shipped eggs) and hatched one. She was a very good mama, too, until her chick was injured and had to be raised the rest of the way indoors.

Pullets that have not started laying yet do not go broody. It is not very common for a pullet to go broody after she's been laying, but it does sometimes happen. Only set eggs that are of normal size, do not set double yolkers or tiny eggs from new layers. Set all the eggs at one time, and mark them so that you can remove any eggs that get added to the clutch by other hens. This way, all the eggs will hatch within a 72 hour period. Otherwise, once the first few chicks are hatched and ready, she will get up and take them to food and water, leaving the rest of the eggs to cool and die.

I have a Black Jersey Giant whom is only 6 months old and is broody right now. It surprised us and we are going to see if she will hatch out a clutch.

Pullets that have not started laying yet do not go broody. It is not very common for a pullet to go broody after she's been laying, but it does sometimes happen. Only set eggs that are of normal size, do not set double yolkers or tiny eggs from new layers. Set all the eggs at one time, and mark them so that you can remove any eggs that get added to the clutch by other hens. This way, all the eggs will hatch within a 72 hour period. Otherwise, once the first few chicks are hatched and ready, she will get up and take them to food and water, leaving the rest of the eggs to cool and die.
Once again you caught me in an "assumption", @junebuggena and I'm glad you caught that! I was sorta assuming that the pullet in question was already laying, as our Agatha was when she decided to go broody.

Back
Top Bottom