Can quail go in with chickens?

@ redhen

the same thing happens to me if a quail jumps out of the pen while I am changing food or water. My roosters will run over and peck at it. Now i know to run after that quail right away unless I want to get it when it's dead! One of my roosters pecked a really big hole in one of my Texas A&M quails but I got to him quickly and the quail healed up fine.

I have no experience with raising chicken and quail in the same space as chicks. That may turn out different. And in my case only the young roosters went after the quail. The older roosters and hens showed no interest. But they went after it like it was the most delicious, or threatening, thing they ever saw running clear across the yard to come peck at it! So that is something to keep in mind.

For The Record, Its Also A Bad Idea To Mix Different Speces Of Bird--- Chickens And Gamebirds Living Togather= Gamebirds Get Chicken Illnesses And Die While Chickens Never Become Ill---- This Happens Quite Frequently--- And I Know I'm Gonna Take Heat Posting This From All You Folks Who Keep Your Gazzelles With Your Polar Bears And Whatnot--- If You Do It Fine, Thats All Good-- They Are Your Stock, Not Mine--- I Wish All The Best Of Luck Here. Really, I Do!.... But Me, I Dont Do It Anymore--- I Got My Education The Hard Way--- I Earned It! I Lost An Entire Batch Of Ornimental Pheasants To Coryza From Being Housed With Chickens--- Not A Single Pheasant Survived Dispite Quick And Proper Treatment( By A Competant Avian Vet...) And Not 1 Single Chicken Ever Even Showed The Slightest Sign Of Illness Before- During- After The Outbreak. They Just Dont Make Good Roommates--- From Their Nutritional Needs Differences, To Their Behavioral Differences, To Their Hygene And Health Differences-- Consider 1 Oil And The Other Water=== No Matter How Hard Or Long You Shake The Container, They Just Wont Mix Very Well.

Back
Top Bottom