Can Quail have ground Beans?

Little Byrd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2015
Georgia
Hi, I have Coturnix Quail, and I have lots of dry Lima beans (or butter beans) that I was thinking of grinding up for them to give them a little protein boost. The Lima beans would be grinded to cornmeal consistency, but aren't cooked or anything, so would it be bad or good for quails?

Thanks, but aren't ground dry garbanzo beans a common ingredient in homemade chicken & duck feed? Well, maybe garbanzo beans are just an exception to being poisonous.

Don't know about garbanzo beans in feed but dried beans have hemagglutinin which is toxic to birds. If you want to give beans you need to cook them.

Not going to lie I give my chickens and quail cooked baked beans and rinse them completely (because they are from a can) and soak them in water then rinse again to get the added salt etc off. I do this as a treat or for the day or 2 I may run out of feed. But I don’t feed them alone I made scrambled eggs, cooked beans, herbs and plants that are all safe for birds and help with their health and medicinal needs. I do not vaccinate my birds or give them any type of western meds (aka anything made in a lab).

Back
Top Bottom