Can quail have too much space?

I want to expand my quail enclosure- the idea I have in mind is to place mesh over the grass and build and run on this- allowing grass etc to grow up through the bars but preventing predators from digging in- another idea may be to place large blocks around the end of the enclosure- either way it would mean a lot of space. While trying to find ideas on what to add I’ve read if you give quail too much space they could potentially fight or become stressed? Is this true?

Also if anyone has ideas on what I can add that would be great - pictures of your set ups would be appreciated.
I’m thinking of maybe growing some bushy type plants in there? Looking for any ideas on improving their space
"While trying to find ideas on what to add I’ve read if you give quail too much space they could potentially fight or become stressed? Is this true?"

I haven't experienced this myself, but I've heard others report that if quail have a lot of space they can become territorial and fight to defend their little personal territory.

"While trying to find ideas on what to add I’ve read if you give quail too much space they could potentially fight or become stressed? Is this true?"

I haven't experienced this myself, but I've heard others report that if quail have a lot of space they can become territorial and fight to defend their little personal territory.
This is if you are keeping your quail in stacked or small cages. There is a line between comfortable enough to get territorial (1 square foot/bird) and too cramped to do anything (3 birds/square foot). More is better, in my opinion.

When I first got my quail, I had 6 in a 21 square foot area and I had some problems with fighting - I think because I didn't have enough hidey places and one of them was stressed and frightened. I think having wide open spaces could frighten them but if you had hidey places / bushes etc, the larger space would be great for them. Now I've sorted out some more hides for my quail and they have an outdoor area which has long grass, we have peace and they love exploring around.

My outdoor run has a galvanised mesh floor which I covered in soil and now has grass growing - they love being in the tall grass, hunting for bugs, digging in the soil etc. I've recently had to cover the whole lot in 1/2 inch mesh because a cat got its paw through the holes that were there before and got the back of one of my quails 😠 (she's ok).

I really think having the bigger space and letting them do some natural behaviours is a wonderful thing - I love watching them and getting to know their individual little personalities and they're happy too 😊

When I first got my quail, I had 6 in a 21 square foot area and I had some problems with fighting - I think because I didn't have enough hidey places and one of them was stressed and frightened. I think having wide open spaces could frighten them but if you had hidey places / bushes etc, the larger space would be great for them. Now I've sorted out some more hides for my quail and they have an outdoor area which has long grass, we have peace and they love exploring around.

My outdoor run has a galvanised mesh floor which I covered in soil and now has grass growing - they love being in the tall grass, hunting for bugs, digging in the soil etc. I've recently had to cover the whole lot in 1/2 inch mesh because a cat got its paw through the holes that were there before and got the back of one of my quails 😠 (she's ok).

I really think having the bigger space and letting them do some natural behaviours is a wonderful thing - I love watching them and getting to know their individual little personalities and they're happy too 😊
Thanks for that,
Do you have any pictures?
This is still under construction… unfortunately the area I had all the mesh and compost down in got invaded with ragworth 😭 so been doing my best to get rid of that. And figuring out the top as the panels are a bit short and I’m worried unless I raise the roof I’ll end up with someone getting injured. Also working on bird boxes type hiding places. Looking for more inspiration on hidey places. Oh and I’ve lots of cuttings growing for hedging and outdoor hiding places. So lots of little bits started to work towards it. Looking for more ideas though

Here are some pics. The run is this: https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/guinea...ith_roof_and_underfloor_mesh_-_single_height/ with 1/2 inch mesh over the top. The wire is quite thick and galvanised - I've had it a year now and its holding up well. I'm hoping it will last a good while longer.
As you can see, the run is not very tall and they do occasionally ping themselves upwards but no one has seriously hurt themselves. I think a medium height is more dangerous (if that makes sense)
There were some dandelions in here but they've eaten them all and they nibbled whatever they could reach through the bigger size mesh before I added the narrow stuff so I wouldn't trust them not to eat ragwort - you have my sympathies as its such annoying stuff.
I've also put some pics of the inside with the stick bridge things that I got for hides and some wooden boxes from Ikea. Outside, the long grass works nicely and I have some Christmas tree branches propped up against the side which they love to hide under.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Attachments

• 20220721_123304.jpg
    20220721_123304.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220721_123254.jpg
    20220721_123254.jpg
    759.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220721_123229.jpg
    20220721_123229.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220721_123152.jpg