Can Quails Drink 'Green Tea'?

MrNappy

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
Ajax, Ontario
Title says it all, Can they drink green tea? (Hot, Warm, Cold?)

Should i take the leaves out?

Sound dumb i know, but just wondering some random stuff quail like.

Thanks in advance.

(P.S. Can they eat jam?)

My guestion is why in the world would you want to give them green tea???? a quail is a wild bird no matter what the breed and wild birds eat seeds or grain and drink water... sometimes i dont understand why folks want to give a bird weird stuff..... guess im from the old school... but to answer your question i havent got a clue if they could or would drink it .

Just wondering, to clean out the insides, calm the bird, what not.

If you got a traumatized and/or injured bird you find yourself in awkward situations, asking weird questions.

mine is a bit skittish... might have something to do with the fact that i bought him as a male, the guy checked and its since laid 2 eggs...
if i could give it green tea to calm down that would be great! let me know if it works! :)

I would think that green tea, being a caffeinated beverage, would make the quail more anxious than anything. Caffeine and other stimulants can be deadly to birds and cause heart or panic attacks. Chamomile herbal tea, though, cooled to room temperature would probably be fine and might be more soothing.

As to whether or not quail can eat jam, it depends on the jam. Check the ingredients. If it's just fruit and pectin, then it's fine in small amounts. Small amount meaning in this case no more than a half teaspoon per bird. Additional sweeteners like sugar and high fructose corn syrup are bad for birds, though, and jams containing these ingredients should be avoided.

I hope that helps!

I don't know why a bird would want to "be cleaned out"... such a thing may even be fatal. Their purpose is to eat, poop and lay eggs (females anyway). Anyway, from your last post, it looks like you intend to go through with this either way; so here is my suggestion: isolate one bird and put some room temperature green tea in a waterer and have another waterer with water. Then observe the bird to see if it drinks the green tea. If it drinks the green tea once, and never returns to it, then you have your answer, it doesn't like it. If it drinks the green tea more than the water, then after an hour, take the green tea out so it can only have water. I wouldn't run this experiment for more than an hour. Keep the bird isolated for several days to observe the quail. If after that time and the bird has no ill effects, return the bird to general population. If the quail dies, then you have your answer and I would not recommend any other "what if you feed your quail this" ideas.
As for me, I wouldn't conduct the experiment, but it seems like you plan on doing it anyway, I am only offering this "suggestion" as a way to not experiment on all of your birds and possibly have them all die. I alway stick to the thought process that if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Last edited:
Just wondering, to clean out the insides, calm the bird, what not. 

If you got a traumatized and/or injured bird you find yourself in awkward situations, asking weird questions.

Hmm so you have an injured quail? I would not offer them green tea or jam. You could add a drop or 2 of infant vitamins without iron(must be without iron) to there water.

They're nervous birds naturally. To calm them, just leave them alone in a warm, clean, well-lit but not-too-bright cage. If you just let them be they'll settle down without you having to give them anything that might harm them.
To aid healing of injuries, offer very clean water with a small amount of unfiltered apple cider vinegar added and keep their dishes as clean as possible. You can get special bird vitamins that can be added to feed or water from your local pet store, and just follow the directions on the bottle. Give them high quality foods like kale, fresh dandelion greens, grated carrot, mashed boiled egg, and sweet potato in addition to a regular diet of high-protein unmedicated game bird food. You can also supplement their diet with high quality finch seed, but don't let it be all they eat. Variety is key. They can also have treats of live feeder insects and small amounts of fruit once or twice a week.

In the case of very serious injuries like deep wounds or broken limbs, you should seek medical attention from an avian veterinarian.

Back
Top Bottom