can red goldens being sexed as early as? ????

hvnsnt3388

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
I couldn'thelp myself! I bought 3 month old red pheasant chicks today. I have read on several sights, with different information. One sight says that you should see a slight reddish color in males and that their eyes will start out blue, slowly turn green and then to yellow, while females stay brown (does this mean they both start out as blue = boy and brown = girl from the very hatching?) Another sight says males will have a spot on their tails and yet another repeats the blue eyes=boys. Does anyone have pictures that I can refer to help compare known males and female chicks? Any information that I can refer to?

We have always use the eye trick!! But I've never noticed green or blue!!! The males have more of a yellow eye color an the females have a dark brown eye color!! By three months you should be able to tell with no problem!!!

I reread my post and noticed how it read. They are a month old, not 3 month old.
I found a thread about pheasant chicks and I believe they are all males!

They all 3 have blue eyes, without a doubt

I appreciate the help! Thank you!

I am beginning to notice a difference in the RG pheasant chick I bought a few weeks back. They should be approaching 7 weeks old.

I noticed that 2 of them have barred type tail feathers and that the other has more of a" speckled" type tail feathers. I am referring to the longest tail feathers. When I say speckled, they appear to be more of a solid brown with very small specks of lighter black. I can't upload pictures....dial up is all we have avaiable for internet service.

Can anyone offer any information about tail feather differences? Maybe someone that has noticed this in chicks and what they have concluded?

if their eyes are all blue, yes they are male.
The eyes start off brown, turning blue pretty quick, starts as a ring and gets bigger usually can tell by just a few days old, then after that as the bird matures they turn yellow on the males. If you had any hens, regardless of all the other stuff, they would have solid brown eyes. None of the other "tricks" matter, eye color is 100% the others are not

smile.png
dude you can just tell by the color the male gets red and yellow while female stays brown.

I agree with BBB regarding eye color. Also note that barred tails are females. Also the boys will get a orangish overall coloring. BUT if you want us to tell you what you definitely have post some good pics of your birds. Plus we all love photos anyway.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom