Can Red Sex links have huge red combs at 7 weeks??? UPDATED

Peppermint

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Woodinville, Washington
Ok, my friend has 7 week old red sex links. One of them has a totally big red comb and red wattles. The other has a tiny yellow "normal comb", no wattles. I want to support her roo-denial as long as I can, but seriously, it's amazing how drastically different her two sex links are. They were feed store chicks. Can they really get SEX LINKS wrong???

The picture below shows the suspicious "hen". Look at the comb difference! Do you think that is a pullet???
58565_photo-1.jpg

Last edited:
red sex links are auto sexing i dont see how the feed store could possibly get sex links wrong
its problably a different breed

Last edited:
Feedstores a notorious for mix-ups. The probably put Rhode Island Reds in the sex-link bin. Sex-link hens should have some white feathers mixed with the red feathers and I don't see any on either bird. I'm guessing you have a RIRs.

We have this same situation with Black Sex-Link Chicks. We ordered 25 for 4H, they come direct from the hatchery. When we got them, no one had a white spot on their head which is how they sex Black stars. As they got older there were two that were unusually large. By 8 weeks those two have mature combs and wattles, plus they crow at me all the time. They are colored like pullets, boys should be barred but these aren't. They are both aggressive bully birds. I am so confused about if they are boys or girls.

Yes, you clearly have a New Hampshire Red or Production Red rooster there, he is red so he obiviously not a sexlink as sexlink males are white., The pullet doesnt really look like a typical Sexlink either, she is probably a production red or a sexlink from like a Red roo on a Delaware hen cross. Either way, they are definitly a roo and a pullet.

The pullet is not a Red Rooster x Delaware hen cross. You should get a black tail with that cross. In my photo, the red one with a black tail is a Speckled Sussex roo x Delaware hen cross. The white one is a sex link male from that cross. The other red one is a pullet and is a SS roo x Buff Orp hen cross. No black tail.

22249_orp_del.jpg

Yeah, one roo and one pullet. He is not a sex link. She might be but also might not. I'd bet the store put all red chicks in the same bin, not realizing that not all red chicks are not sex links. My TSC had three bins, red chicks, all other standard chicks, and a bantam bin. I don't understand why in the world would they separate the red chicks from the others if they are not sex links, but they did.

Quote:
Oh well I though I did see a black tail on the original hen posted but now that you point it out, it does look solid red, anyway my point was that she doesent have a white tail like most sexlinks like mine from a SS roo on RIW hens.

37373_sl_pullet.jpg

37373_sl_roo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom