can roos have hemrhoids? GRAPHIC PIC

I did some reading up on that and no,i dont think it could be the cocci. It has been about three weeks now since my roo Blu started acting really lethargic. then started eating a lot and had the diah. meanwhile,the rest of my flocks feathers are starting to look really 'freyed' almost. My Superbird is very 'active' shall we say? Thought maybe it was just him tearing up their feathers. Yea, two or three look like they are going to need a covering real soon. BUt their neck feathers look broken up on the ends. like split ends. they are 9 months old and laying well. THey just dont look happy. now a few are really pigging out all the time. 24/7. all they can get nonstop! kinda fluffing their feathers a lot. not doing a lot. poo not looking to good. some normal, some really not stringy, but looks like a ribbon of claythat we used to roll in our hands when we were young, all the way to total water with nothing in it. totally clear. (that was Blu). They just look haggard. THey are spoiled birds of course. 10 birds housed in a tajmahal coop 10 X 12, insulated, finished (pink curtains.lolol). i change bedding once a month, scoop poo daily, feed crumbles, some scratch, not a lot. large pen (open) to roam. they are free roam about 30% of the day depending on the weather (5 acres of grass, meadow, trees, my deck, garden, etc). They get oatmeal, bread, fruit, veggies, etc. from me, but not to much. It seems taht the last day so, they have started to feel a little more 'perky' so to speak. I wondered if mabye it was the nasty cold weather and being cooped up so to speak, but my motherly instinct says something is wrong. the coop is heated with a heat lamp (red bulb) for part of the cold nights ( only if below 30 degrees and it doesnt get that warm. only takes the chill off) and off during the day. I know there are mixed feelings about that, and I may have made my birds vulnerable to sickness by using heat, but I dont think so. I dont think its sickness or cold, or disease. The one bird that died had BAD mites and lice. I have checked and checked nad checked over my birds since and have not been able to find ANYTHING on anyone of them ?????????? I know they shoudl all have them, but none do. I dont get it. I treated them all anyway for the fowl mites and lice. My birds have had ivermectine once at about 4 months old for what I thought was gape worm in a roo. dunno if it was or not. He got better though. I went ahead and gave them the first round of wormer like was suggested a few days ago. THey were outside today and seemed pretty content. i dunno. The only thing I can do is take it one step at a time I guess.

Poor thing! I hope you find out what ails them and all turn out well...
hugs.gif

Have you seen this site? http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

UPDATE: 1/2/10 That is exactly what I am doing. I did the first round, now I am waiting on the second wormer to be shipped to me and I shall hit them up with round 2!!!!!!! 8 out of the 10 of them now are having normal poo's. wish me luck! I does not seem like I am going to be loseing anymore of them to what ever this is or was. It is is/was worms? I cant say enough to everyone that they need to worm them. It was and is horrible watching them like this.

Good luck, I hope the worming does the trick. I had one hen that was INFESTED with mites, and couldn't find anything on the other 4, so it can happen. She had been sick, so I think they must have gained hold then, when she wasn't preening normally. I wormed and dusted at the same time too, I wasn't taking chances.

Glad to hear things are looking better. I would keep a stock of extra wormers and treat them every so often even if they are not showing signs. Sometimes prevention is better than the alternative. Keep up the great work!!
hugs.gif

yea, I have enough on hand to last me awhile now.
roll.png
I read on hear somewhere that it is smart to have a 'first aid' kit in every hen house. Well, that's what I did. I put together I nice little coop kit.
wink.png

I hope the valbazen arrives today so that I can get them on it. I am still seeing one or two with really funky poos.

Back
Top Bottom