Can roosters eat layer pellets?

I was wondering if, when the pullets start laying, roosters can eat laying pellets. I have had hens for the past three years, but no roosters. Do I have to separate him, or is it ok for him to eat the layer pellets? Sorry, I'm sure there is an obvious answer to this question but I cant seem to find an answer.

Laying hens need more calcium than other chickens.
Layer pellets are supposed to have the right amount of calcium for laying hens, but that much can be bad for roosters.

But hens do not need to have their calcium mixed into the food-- you can put out a separate dish of oyster shell and let them eat it for their calcium. Chickens are usually pretty good at eating the right amount of oyster shell for their own needs.

So you can feed them all with chick starter, or flock raiser, or all-flock, or any other complete chicken feed that does not have a high level of calcium, and provide a dish of oyster shell, and they should all be fine. (Chick starter is fine for chickens of all ages, so switching them to something else is optional, not required.)

everybody on BYC said that was ok a few weeks ago :
Not sure who "everybody" is but most posters here would advise against it, unless you plan on eating the male before organ damage is an issue.

Other concern is 12 week olds are still growing (a lot) and layer not only has too much calcium, but usually minimal protein (most is 16%). While they're growing they should have more protein. At the very least you should switch to a 18% layer, or more.

Back
Top Bottom