Can see the chick though membrane

simplypc

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2016
So I can see the chick is moving. I'm on day 20 and none have piped except that one. The shell has fallen away but the outer membrane is still intact. It started looking a solid white so I raised the humidity from 65 to 70 and it went back to a transparent. I am not opening the incubator but it is soooo hard to watch it do nothing. There is also no chirping coming from it and it's on the wrong end of the egg. I had candled them and marked the egg cell and it's pipped the wrong end!

You may want to moisten the membrane with a Qtip. Sometimes chicks that pip the wrong end are able to hatch on their own. Others are not able to without help. I usually do not assist unless there has been no progress for about 12 hours. If you have never assisted before look up on you tube to see how it is done. You need to go very slowly and stop if there is any bleeding. It is not uncommon for a hatch to take 18-24 hours. You can also think about making a small hole in the membrane to allow air to enter.

if chick has a pip hole, it still NEEDS to stay in egg while it digests yolk, egg is full of yolk if there is blood, there is undigested yolk. But don't worry too much about leaving them in egg, if they have air they are fine, and remember, they ship new hatched chicks across country with no food or water for 3 days. 21 days seems like a long time when you are waiting though...

I took the high Road and let it be. I can still see it breathing but since then 8 more have pipped and I don't want to loose the 8 to save the 1. Did that last time. Opened the incubator because I didn't know better and the 5 that had pipped shrink wrapped and didn't make it. The one that i saved was too weak and didnt make it anyway. Sitting on hands and feet waiting patiently.

One hatched and 8 have pipped! 32 had developed to day 18 so I'm still hopeful a lot more will hatch.

Well so far we've 7 new babies :) 25 more to go!

I have a much staggered hatch, I have one that hatched today, then more due on the 16th, and more the 20th, the one I hatched today is being trained to befriend one that is 2 weeks old...

After she dried I put her in a basket in the brooder, the older chick and the new one can touch beaks and talk,but no fighting. When the new one can walk and play well they can go in the same pen...

I have done this before...

Last edited:
Awww how cute. Believe ir or nor that chick hatched our fine after being pipped for almost 2 days. Currently 14 have hatched and 17 more to go.

It's so hard not to help! We've saved a few that grew up ok, but the majority had to be culled eventually either deformed or didn't absorb the yolk all the way. Not sure which is harder, letting them live/die as they hatch, or putting down a little ailing peeper, but no more helping either way.

Back
Top Bottom