Can Seramas live happily in pairs?

Can I Keep A Serama Pair?

• Yes, They Make Great Pairs

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No, They'd Hate That

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Think It Would Be Grand

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I Don't Think It's A Good Idea (Here's Why)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Does your area freeze in winter? I thought most areas of Texas was semi desert like environment?

So West Texas is flat and arid. Where I'm at in Northeast Texas it is extremely humid. This year was drier than last year, but our weather is all all over the place. Last year we had a sever thunderstorm coupled with a tornado after work one evening and woke up to snow on the ground the next morning.

Zeus is so cute! I love his color.
Hera looks like a messy silver pencilled, but she looks like she might have autosomal red too.

I love that pair. I don't have a clue what either of them are. Hades and Persephone are Crele (I think). Cupid and Psyche are a bit like a Lemon Cuckoo/Crele.

@ColtHandorf how loud and frequently do yours crow?
That is my starting trio in my avatar. I thought "OK, I'll get the roo. He's so tiny how loud can it be?"
When he crows, every corner of my 4200 sq ft house shakes. OY!!!!!
PS: He crows all through the day and occasionally at 1am for whatever God knows reason. The odds of him crowing at a particular time increase when I am on a work phone call.

Last edited:
I have a pair and they do fine he only mates her as soon as I let them out in the morning the rest of the time he just tries to feed her (he feeds her everything he finds no matter what it is) and he's never to mean with her, but I also had a pair where the hen beat up the rooster so I gave them another hen and they where fine ,but that's probably something you shouldn't worry about.

He examined her and then injected her but she didn't make it.
Antibiotics.

ANYWAY, anyone else got something to say about pairs now your all awake?
*sigh*
I don’t think it’s a good idea.
I wouldn’t keep ANY birds in pair for their whole lIves, personally.
So.....I don’t have experience with it, but I definitely wouldn’t do it.
At lease get three.
And if you mean one male, one female, NO.
The same rules apply!
He will overmate her!

I have two bonded pairs of Serama and one Roo that has 3 ladies. I like to keep them in pairs, to be honest, but I have one hen that's overbearing, so she gets to boss the other girls. They don't overmate. The females will NOT let that happen. [talking about my birds]
The crowing is like a squeaky toy and sometimes they alarm call because the big chickens outdoors are doing that. It's more lovable than annoying. Mine are in my house and don't wake us up, whereas the roosters out in the coops do.
I keep mine in Rabbit hutches, just for the ease of cleaning the pull out plastic tray flooring.

Back
Top Bottom