Can Seramas live happily in pairs?

Can I Keep A Serama Pair?

• Yes, They Make Great Pairs

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No, They'd Hate That

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Think It Would Be Grand

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I Don't Think It's A Good Idea (Here's Why)

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

SulkyBantam

···ʞɔǝꓒ ʎɹǝʌƎ ɥʇᴉM ɹǝʇɹoɥS ɓuᴉʇʇǝꓨ sI ʞɐǝꓭ ʎW
Nov 3, 2020
The Emerald Isle
My Coop
My Coop
I used to have 2 Serama hens. They live in about a metre sq. cage indoors, with a little covered run outside for warmer days. Sadly, one of my hens got a lung sac infection and passed away.

As you can imagine, the hen left behind is crying for her friend, sitting on the perch where her friend was all day and is very lonely.

The breeder I got her from only has roos (well cockerels actually) left. I always wanted a Serama roo. I have a soft spot for bantam roos, but have only had Japanese not Seramas.

Can they live happily in pairs?
I've heard so. My hen would, I think, like a boyfriend, and maybe one day I'd hatch some eggs.

Now, I know about the kind of adolescent phase these roos get between about 3 and 5 months of age. I'd want to get one older, and by a stroke of luck, the breeder has one about the age of my hen herself, about 6 or 7 months old. They may even remember each other

I used to have a Japanese bantam pair and they really loved each other. I was so heartbroken when they were killed. The mamma was a lovely mother to their (foster) chicks too and their daddy a wonderful father.

Any warnings or advice?
Thanks!

Zeus and Hera:

8989AD24-65C7-4A8D-A6E6-10C2E3F2C95E.jpeg
90F21CA6-843E-47F1-90C3-3E94F715209E.jpeg

Cupid and Psyche:

D57F4EC8-8736-492A-AD0E-74C704C1A83B.jpeg

The blue tarped area just to the left of the dog run is one of the flights. The other two I don't seem to have pictures of...

F999A291-D581-4720-BFFF-491AC3C1BEF4.jpeg

Hades and Persephone and their four children:

E8832272-77D3-4FA5-950E-ABC915E93E95.jpeg

Last edited:
Birds do mourn over the loss of flock mates, I've seen it several times. They eventually get past it but it can take weeks, even months. As long as she is not completely alone, she will be ok. Be gentle with her, don't force her to go outside, she may stop laying and not eat much. I had a hen get nightfrights when her best friend died. So just give her a bit of extra attention, she will be ok. But definitely watch for over mating, it can kill a hen.

@ColtHandorf what would u call Hera feather pattern I love 💕 it

Literally no idea. @Amer could probably tell us. Seramas are a bit of a genetic mystery. I don't get many duplicates when I'm incubating their eggs. Barring is fairly consistent. But the Crele pair through Silver-laced girls. And one of those pairs is throwing White and SIlver chicks. Everyone wants me to duplicate Hera and Zeus though. lol I did a good job picking that pair out. And they throw Micros... :)

I can't advise on keeping a pair, although I feel if I was in your situation I'd probably try it. A single lonely pullet is probably worse than a pullet and a cockerel pair.

...by a stroke of luck, the breeder has one about the age of my hen herself, about 6 or 7 months old. They may even remember each other

This is my primary reason for commenting. They won't remember each other. You should still introduce them gradually over the course of a few days, if at all possible. Keeping the new cockerel in a separate enclosure but within sight of the pullet for a few days will make the introduction phase smoother.

Birds do mourn over the loss of flock mates, I've seen it several times. They eventually get past it but it can take weeks, even months. As long as she is not completely alone, she will be ok. Be gentle with her, don't force her to go outside, she may stop laying and not eat much. I had a hen get nightfrights when her best friend died. So just give her a but of extra attention, she will be ok.
Thanks, yes I have 2 mourning hens as one outside can't get over the death of her rival :idunno . She only just started to lay (ditto) so not expecting too many eggs yet anyway.

She sits on her perch which was her friend's fave spot and cries for her a lot.
She had to watch her bestie struggling to breathe, then thrash about and twitch and expire, then travel with her body all the way back from the vets (she didn't manage the injection).
She sat right next to her dead friend trying to talk to her all the way 😢 it was heartbreaking. Do you think she'd like a roo and it would work?

Might work out, might not.
As always the male to female ratio depends on the demeanor's of the birds,
and sometimes their housing space.

Wonders about the lung sac infection tho....was there a necrospy done?
If it was caused by a respiratory disease,
or being confined inside most the time,
might want to rethink it.

Back
Top Bottom