Can she chickens organs....

I agree with TenChicks about there being some dead infected tissue there. I would get some Hibiclens or chlorhexaphine from the drugstore or Walmart, and soak her with a watery mixture of that and wash that area off once or twice a day, trying to get off the darkened skin. It may bleed but just put pressure on it with a dry cloth or pad. Rinse, then apply Neosporin ointment after drying the skin. This should only need to be done until the tissue looks cleaner and more healthy, then only apply Neosporin daily.

When I cleaned her this morning for the first time I noticed a smell, but not overwhelming. Can I get antibiotics from a vet, "over the counter"?

On a positive note, she is moving around more and eating and drinking.

Thanks,

Bryan
If you already established a client/patient relationship with your veterinarian, I'm sure he/she will be glad to assist you. They can supply you with sterile saline solution, gauze for cleaning, and a more skin friendly antiseptic such as chlorahexidine to help flush the wound. Metacam, as previously suggested, is also available, but this product can be tough on the kidneys and is not recommded for dehydratred/stressed patients.

I'm glad she's improving. Good work!

Got home and cut some feathers away from wound and washed out the wound. Tonight I am going to try and get some of the dead skin and black off her. She is drinking a lot of water. I added some electrolytes and aspirin. She is eating milk softened oats and Cheerios. She does seem to be doing better.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Another positive note she was able to hop up and perch on top of the container. My wife found him "happily" sitting on the ledge.

thumbsup.gif

She appears to be doing well. I tried to return her to the rest of the hens but they went after her. I am giving her amoxicillian twice a day. She scabbing up, I did notice puss at one part of the wound.

Oh, yeah, they'll probably go after her until she's fully healed. Then you'll still have to take your time putting her back with the flock.

A little update...

Lucky is doing great and laying again. Here are some pictures. Thanks for everyones help!

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom