Can she go outside? [Pic added]

nubiansrus1

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Got a month old Rhode Island Red hen today. Someone out here couldnt take care of her anymore. They bought a chick for their son and she was making to big of a mess in the house. So since Im the sucker/rescue lady she came to me. My question is when I first started chicks I tried to have some really young chicks in the house, they all didnt make it
sad.png
But I really wanna help this hen. LIke I said shes a month old, the lady had been keeping her in the house... I would rather not keep her in the house, I have a cage for her away from the rest of the flock. Does she stilll need to be in the house? Have a heat lamp or anything? She seems in good health and active and everything. Also is it good to have a chick by itself or should it have buddies to stay warmer? I have a small bantam or two that might keep her warm lol. Ideas?

Oh I am not new, was nubianrus but lost the password and my email has changed.

Here she is. What breed do you think she is? RIR? The lady said she bought her from the feed store and they said she was.

s15360.jpg

Last edited:
It depends on where you are (temp). She's probably not fully feathered out yet so I would put a heat lamp in the coop and get her out of the house. IMO she should have buddies! How old are the banties?

Quote:
She has alot of feathers and I dont see bare spots, but I dont really know. Would I pic help figure that out? I cant get heat of an kind to the coop. I thought about getting her buddies I dont have a problem with that, but its either older hens, or couple day old chicks. No one around her sells them in between. The bantys are about 6 months, but i have a smaller one that is friendly with everyone thats smaller in size i thought of trying out for warmth. But its still much bigger then her.

Oh and its about 50 here at night.

Last edited:
Quote:
Breed of bantams? I dont really know. Umm Ill see if I can find the paper work on them. Three are hens, one the lady wasnt sure about.

I'm not sure about the breed. She does look about 4wks. I'd give her alteast another 2wks before putting her outside without heat.

Back
Top Bottom