Can silkies sit on goose eggs?

I'm completely to all this, so I just have my own current personal experience to tell you. I have a broody silkie hen, and I found an abandoned clutch of turkey eggs where we mowed. The hen wouldn't come back after a couple days, so I thought I would conduct my own "turkey experiment"! I put the turkey eggs under "Mama Chicken", and thought What The Heck! What could it hurt right?

Just today I found one of the eggs is hatching! I lift her up every morning and check the eggs, and today one of the eggs had a beak poking through! Tonight I can hear the turkey chirping from inside the egg and he's making his way out. It's so amazing! I don't know what to do next (which is why I logged on tonight with my own questions), but I thought I would tell you my experience when I saw your post. Good luck!

well sure she can! shes just acting as an incubator.
It is sometimes hilarious last yr I had a lil Cochin hen who sett a nest full of goose eggs, there were to many for her to cover all so I had to take several for incubation. but had to leave extras around edge because (seriously!!) she kept sliding off eggs!!
she not only hatched 3 of the 5 eggs, she was mom for a week or so!! finally had to take the babes as they were just too big and I was afraid they would hurt mom, as they began climbing all over her and were twice her size!
part I could never figure was how did she turn eggs, I never saw her do it.
I figured she couldn't and they would not hatch.
so either she did or turning is not that big a deal, I miss my scheduled turns alot in incubator and it is fine but NEVER turn? I don't know

Back
Top Bottom