Can somebody expain Diatomaceous Earth?

Then how do you prevent worms?
You can't, really, unless your chickens live inside or something. If you live some place wet, you have a greater likely hood of worms, some place dry, less worms. but all chickens have a worm or two, you can treat them with goat wormer, dose according to weight.

"DE causes insects to dry out and die by absorbing the oils and fats from the cuticle of the insect's exoskeleton. Its sharp edges are abrasive, speeding up the process. It remains effective as long as it is kept dry and undisturbed" I don't think it does anything for internal parasites because it only works when dry and as we all know the insides of ours chickens dogs horses etc.. are all moist. it does however work well to keep insects at bay, and if you have an ant problem and it hasn't been raining it does prevent ants from getting in your house if you apply it liberally to the outer parameter if your house and all window seals and other areas they could get in and added protection if you sprinkle it all over your lawn close to your house too, though since it is so good at killing insects it is best to keep it away from flowers so you do not harm our bee friends. it does clump together when it gets wet rendering it inert though. it is make up of old fossilized diatoms from lake beds that are ground up into small particles that cuts up the exoskeleton of insects. it is often added to dust bathes or put on to horses to help keep flies away and various purposes like that.

I don't believe Tonyroos comment was directed at you.

I wouldn't use it in enclosed areas like coops, it's not great to breath and chickens dig around in their litter and that stirs it up.
I put a thick layer of straw and have a large coop. And a large run plus free range often. They are hardly ever in the coop besides sleeping so don’t really dig much. Plus I cull at two - three years so I’m not really concerned about respiratory issues at 12 years old. I wear an n95 to clean it out anyway because of the chickens dirt.

I put a thick layer of straw and have a large coop. And a large run plus free range often. They are hardly ever in the coop besides sleeping so don’t really dig much. Plus I cull at two - three years so I’m not really concerned about respiratory issues at 12 years old. I wear an n95 to clean it out anyway because of the chickens dirt.
sound's like you have everything covered.

You can't, really, unless your chickens live inside or something. If you live some place wet, you have a greater likely hood of worms, some place dry, less worms. but all chickens have a worm or two, you can treat them with goat wormer, dose according to weight.
Well living in the PNW I will have to watch out for worms. What are some symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom