Can somebody tell me what's up with these tail feathers?

Phoebus

Chirping
Apr 11, 2018
Noland Ridge, West Virginia
One of my 6 week old chicks has these strange feathers sticking out of her tail. They're firmly attached but have this very long shaft, then the feather starts. No one else has these.
chickens151018-7.jpg

All of my Sebrights got those. They go away eventually.

Could this be an indication that this chick might be a Sebright or do all breeds get these? She's supposed to be an Americana (Hoover's Araucan x Ameraucan) but when you buy from a large farm store, can't be positive. I'm sure chicks can get loose and mixed up sometimes. Also, I don't know what other breed was in Hoover's Ameraucans--the ones they used to breed their Americanas. Could it be that's where the Sebright may have come in the picture? Do I sound hopeful? Sebrights are beautiful chickens!

Could this be an indication that this chick might be a Sebright or do all breeds get these? She's supposed to be an Americana (Hoover's Araucan x Ameraucan) but when you buy from a large farm store, can't be positive. I'm sure chicks can get loose and mixed up sometimes. Also, I don't know what other breed was in Hoover's Ameraucans--the ones they used to breed their Americanas. Could it be that's where the Sebright may have come in the picture? Do I sound hopeful? Sebrights are beautiful chickens!

She doesn't look like the Sebrights I've seen... but I'm no expert. I'd say it's just something that happens sometimes - my Sebrights were hatchery stock from a feed store, so that may have something to do with it. One of them has scissor beak, as well... so they weren't bred from the best material. I don't know what hatchery they came from.

Back
Top Bottom