Can someone explain egg "clutches"

cottontail farm

Crowing
6 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
My african geese started laying awhile back and i collected the eggs for the kitchen always leaving 1 in the nest. Both my girls were laying every other day like clockwork. The eggs started to get ahead of me in the kitchen so I decided not to gather them from the geese any more and hoped they would brood.
There are 7 eggs in the nest, no one has any interest in them and the ladies haven't layed for over a week now. Did i do something wrong? Will they start back up again? What do I do now?

They are resting their bodies and should start back soon. My goose usually went broody after she had 9 egg in her nest. Are you marking the eggs to keep up with the oldest? That way when they start back laying you can remove the oldest nastiest ones when brooding starts. or at least keep up with the old and newest. I can't imagine a goose not going broody they just haven't had that hormone kick in yet.

How many eggs did they lay total before they stopped laying?

Thanks so much Miss Lydia. Seasoned geese owners must think I ask a lot of dumb questions here :)
They laid maybe 12 eggs each? Yes, the oldest one is marked but should I mark them all from now on with thr dates?
How many clutches do your ladies usually lay?

I just have one female now and best I can remember she stopped laying when she turned 5 yrs old she'll be 6 next month so it's been a few years. She laid only one clutch that she would brood on. I'd start out taking all her eggs since it was still cold enough for them to freeze when she first started to lay in Feb. then once April came I just left the eggs she laid. Soon as she would get 9 eggs she would go broody and not lay anymore for that breeding season. Seems she would have spurts when she'd stop laying similar to how ducks will do, rest then start back. Hopefully someone with better memory than I can help more there. She laid from Feb till May or until she went broody. I really think my goose laid out early because she laid some many eggs her first 2 laying seasons. First laying season she laid over 40 eggs I didn't let her brood that year second year she laid over 20 third year less and 4th year less. Till last year none they are in breeding season now and so far no eggs so I think she is through for her life.

I'd say your girls should start back laying again soon then leave those eggs till they gather their clutches for brooding Maybe Africans are different too. But 12 eggs don't sound like many for geese. I would mark all eggs laid just me.

Back
Top Bottom