1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone explain in newbie terms how to trim coturnix beak?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Emilys3guppies, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I have 6 coturnix hens in a 6sq/ft cage. They are 12 weeks old.

They eat chicken crumbles (18% protein) that I mix, per lb, with 1 cup of ground cat food. They also get boiled egg once a week. So I'm reasonably sure they are getting enough protein.

But one of the hens, in particular, seems set on scalping the others. Will trimming her beak help? If so, how do I do it? With toe nail clippers? Can I do it by myself or do I need to enlist help? How do I get her to open her beak so I only trim the tip of the top? I'm going to search threads for pics...

Thanks for the help, as always.
    Emily

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I've never done it, but I read somewhere to use finger nail clippers. Please don't take too much off, get someone to help you.

3. Emilys3guppies

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Thanks, I will get help then. [​IMG] I understand that if I hit the quick it will bleed so I do have styptic powder on hand (that I've used with my budgies when trimming toenails). I assume I can use that on the birds beak, correct? Hopefully, though, it won't be trimmed enough to need it.

If she doesn't shape up then she'll end up dinner...

4. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Quote:That was what i was thinking just trim at the neck [​IMG]
    Mmmm quail tastes good

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Nail Clippers--- Just Take The Tip 1/16 Th To 1/8th Inch. Are You Abolutely Sure She's A Hen And Not A Roo Breeding The Hens To The Point Of Being Scalped? (just Gotta Ask...)

6. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

use toe nail clippers. trim the pointed part off . I trim both top & bottom. If it bleads === thats OK it will stop & hurt nothing.

7. Emilys3guppies

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Quote:Thank you for including that...that clarifies much for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by