Can someone explain the X and O system for turning?

BackyardMix

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Okay, can someone explain? Is one representing the fat side and the other the smaller side? HELP! If you can, include pictures! Thanks!

Quote:
The X and O simply help you to make sure you're turning the egg 180 degrees (when the egg is laying on it's side) each time your turn. It has nothing to do with the wide and narrow ends of the egg.

No. When you turn the eggs, you are shooting for 180 degrees each time. If you put an x on one side and on o on the other, then you can tell at a glance when you have it right. You can also tell if you skipped one.

Quote:
The X and O simply help you to make sure you're turning the egg 180 degrees (when the egg is laying on it's side) each time your turn. It has nothing to do with the wide and narrow ends of the egg.

OH! I've had the eggs standing in an egg carton in my incubator. Will that hurt them? And also, do you just mark the eggs on opposite sides?

You don't want the eggs on end unless you have them in an automatic turner that tips them from side to side. If in a turner, then marking them isn't necessary.

If you don't have an auto turner, then I would take the eggs out of cartons and lay them in the incubator. The air sac should be at the large round end of an egg. If you are turning them from tip to tip instead of side to side, you may mess up the air sac and the chick will not pip properly when ready to hatch. Hope that isn't your case.
fl.gif

The X and O system is for hand turning. I generally put the date set on the one side and an X on the opposite side for hand turning.

Back
Top Bottom