Can someone help a newbie with a chick-raising question?

guesswhatchickenbutt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Central FL
Hi all,

Hope you don't mind a question from a newbie around these parts...

I'm considering buying my first ever chicks soon! They come into the feed store in the first week of april. I have a very large tupperware container and I have a heat lamp and thermometer left over from raising ducklings... but here's the issue. We never ever ever go on vacation. And wouldn't you know that we're going away for 7 days at the end of April for an out-of-town wedding.

I'm assuming the chicks the Feed Store is getting in will be brand new little ones.... so at the end of April they'll be 4 months old. I have two girls coming to the house to feed my indoor cats while we're gone.

What do I do with the chicks? I doubt I can not buy them in the 1st week of April and wait until we get home in the 1st week of May... nothing says the feed store will still have them. So if I buy them, any ideas what I should do?

Can they be left in a tupperware container at that age? The girls will come about 2x a day to check on cats...

Any thoughts as to how I can swing this are much appreciated.

I have a friend building me a chicken coop and delivering it next week. I have no idea what it will look like at this point, but he's doing the whole thing for free, so beggars can't be chosers, you know?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kate

Hopefully you have a good friend that will take them for you. I have a very dear friend that takes care of my menagerie while I am gone. Usually I only go for long weekends. It's hard to take a break when you have pets.
Check in your local phonebook for pet sitters and see if you could go that route. Hope this helps and good luck!

With 4 week old chicks I think being checked on 2 times a day would be ok. If they could check on them 3 times it would be better.

The girls will likely need to change feed and water on each visit and bedding once a day...depending on what you are using, but you will be better able to advise them once you get into a routine with the chicks.

One note though...make sure that your heat lamp is secure. I have mine hanging on a shower curtain rod, which is NOT secure...it could fall on the chicks at anytime. I have placed a wire rack on top of the brooder though so even if the lights come crashing down the babies will be protected.

I may be an obsessive motherly type, but I could not STAND to be away from the chicks for a week at that age! They are still so delicate and precious. Is there any way you can wait to get chicks--the feed stores around me had them until the end of May. Or else find someone who is experienced to take them to their place while you are gone. I would go nuts!

I may be an obsessive motherly type, but I could not STAND to be away from the chicks for a week at that age! They are still so delicate and precious. Is there any way you can wait to get chicks--the feed stores around me had them until the end of May. Or else find someone who is experienced to take them to their place while you are gone. I would go nuts!

At 4 weeks the tupperware container may be a bit small depending on how many chickens you have in there. I use a large plastic tub that has a lid. We have cut out the center and put wire over it for the 1st brooder. I found at 4 weeks it was pushing it but if the girls that are feeding the cats are willing to go up and spend some time with them, I think it should be okay.

My husband found a very large wooden box that we moved our girls to when they were 5 weeks old..and they were read for the extra space. Depending on the breed of chicks you are getting, they can grow pretty quickly.

You'll love the birds. They are great company
smile.png
and calming when you need some down time.

If you can, don't get them from the feed store, order them from other places. LIke hatcheries or people on BYC, or an auction, or something.

Otherwise, If you do get them from the feed store then teach the girls how to handle them and what to do and they could watch them for you.

Good Luck!!!!!

~Trista~
jumpy.gif

At 4 weeks I got a big box (washing maching box) and had 8 in there until 7 weeks and then they went to the coop.
I don't think I would leave chicks that long.

Hi Kate -
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

I live in Central Fla too!

Do you have a friend that could take your chickies to their house and care for them for a week? Then you would not be so worried about them and heat lamps etc.

Lisa
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom