Can someone help identify/sex this chick

Um, I see a pea comb on that bird. Aren't RIR straight comb only? I think your bird is RIR mix with easter egger or something that lays blue eggs, because pea comb is a marker for blue egg gene. I have a Production Red (breed was developed from RIR to increase egg laying) and a number of fancy (hatchery created) easter eggers. My mix of the Production Red rooster over my Prairie Bluebells created many birds that look like yours.

So, I think your cockerel could sire some percentage of hens that lay colored eggs
Um, I see a pea comb on that bird. Aren't RIR straight comb only? I think your bird is RIR mix with easter egger or something that lays blue eggs, because pea comb is a marker for blue egg gene. I have a Production Red (breed was developed from RIR to increase egg laying) and a number of fancy (hatchery created) easter eggers. My mix of the Production Red rooster over my Prairie Bluebells created many birds that look like yours.

So, I think your cockerel could sire some percentage of hens that lay colored eggs.
Thank you for letting me know this. I have been really wanting Easter eggers so this is a potential win 😂 thank you for the info I appreciate you taking the time to respond I grew up around chicken but this is my first personal flock. So I still have a lot of learning.

Thank you for letting me know this. I have been really wanting Easter eggers so this is a potential win 😂 thank you for the info I appreciate you taking the time to respond I grew up around chicken but this is my first personal flock. So I still have a lot of learning.
If your rooster (cockerel) is heterozygous for blue egg gene (can give either blue or brown to chicks), if you cross this rooster with a homozygous blue egg layer hen, you could get either blue or green eggs (depending on whether the zinc white gene is involved, and whether the chicks get the blue egg gene or the brown egg gene from the rooster). If you cross this rooster with a brown egg layer hen, chicks could lay brown or some shade of green/olive. My understanding is that the genetics are not as straightforward as I've stated here, but this should be the general gist of things.

Egg color can be pretty complex, but might be something fun to play with. The Genetics forum has a wealth of information about this subject.

Attachments

• 756627E9-BF27-4308-86E3-A1E35723B3FC.jpeg
    756627E9-BF27-4308-86E3-A1E35723B3FC.jpeg
    838.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 957386A6-68FF-4A59-A770-2D1F63C66548.jpeg
    957386A6-68FF-4A59-A770-2D1F63C66548.jpeg
    893 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom