Can someone help me identify these breeds please?

littleamber26

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2017
I am new to chicken raising and we received 5 chicks from my sons preschool that they hatched in class. I was told that they were made up of Sussex, dot kings, Cochins and a few mystery breeds. I got an additional 3 elsewhere that claim to be Rhode Island reds that I want to confirm to be true. I'm fairly certain of the breed of two of the hens, however one will be pictured to be sure!
IMG_1040.JPG

I'm pretty sure this black pullet is a Cochin, her feet are my main identifier here lol

IMG_1042.JPG

I'm fairly certain this is a rooster, I caught him trying to crow the other day
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG

I'm not sure on this girl, she has 5 toes but has these feathered feet so I'm not really sure.
IMG_1046.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

These 3 are all the same hen
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG

I have three girls that all look
Like this, these are the ones that claimed
To be Rhode Island reds but I feel like they're awful light, closer to a buff color. So please help!

Thanks!

There's only one with 5 toes. The "rir's" I suspected weren't what they claimed. Thanks for the confirmation!

I posted in another forum and got one opinion based solely on comb and wattle but I have read this isn't the most reliable indicator of gender. This chick at 7 weeks old is the one in question. I hadn't questioned for a minute that it was a she because it feathered quickly and evenly like all the others, and has a similar posture. The one that stood out as a rooster feathered much slower especially around the wing bows and tail. This black one tends to be more assertive than the others and often hasn't minor squabbles with the rooster. I just wanted to get more opinions on gender. Praying for another hen but if it's a rooster it's not a crisis. Thanks!
IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG

It has a fluffy patch of feathers just by the tail like the other hens have.
IMG_1133.JPG

Back
Top Bottom