1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone help me identify these breeds please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littleamber26, May 17, 2017.

1. littleamber26

littleamber26 Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2017
    I am new to chicken raising and we received 5 chicks from my sons preschool that they hatched in class. I was told that they were made up of Sussex, dot kings, Cochins and a few mystery breeds. I got an additional 3 elsewhere that claim to be Rhode Island reds that I want to confirm to be true. I'm fairly certain of the breed of two of the hens, however one will be pictured to be sure!
    IMG_1040.JPG
    I'm pretty sure this black pullet is a Cochin, her feet are my main identifier here lol

IMG_1042.JPG
    I'm fairly certain this is a rooster, I caught him trying to crow the other day
    IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1045.JPG
    I'm not sure on this girl, she has 5 toes but has these feathered feet so I'm not really sure.
    IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1048.JPG
    IMG_1047.JPG
    These 3 are all the same hen
    IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1050.JPG
    I have three girls that all look
    Like this, these are the ones that claimed
    To be Rhode Island reds but I feel like they're awful light, closer to a buff color. So please help!

Thanks!

2. littleamber26

Apr 29, 2017
    Dot kings should be "dorkings"

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    The 'RIR' are Buff Orpingtons.

SamanthaLiz likes this.
  4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I'm not sure on the feather footed ones. They may very well be Cochins crossed with a five toed breed.

5. littleamber26

Apr 29, 2017
    There's only one with 5 toes. The "rir's" I suspected weren't what they claimed. Thanks for the confirmation!

6. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Dorkings have 5 toes so that could be where the extra toe is coming from in your 5 toed beauty.

littleamber26 likes this.
  7. littleamber26

Apr 29, 2017
    I posted in another forum and got one opinion based solely on comb and wattle but I have read this isn't the most reliable indicator of gender. This chick at 7 weeks old is the one in question. I hadn't questioned for a minute that it was a she because it feathered quickly and evenly like all the others, and has a similar posture. The one that stood out as a rooster feathered much slower especially around the wing bows and tail. This black one tends to be more assertive than the others and often hasn't minor squabbles with the rooster. I just wanted to get more opinions on gender. Praying for another hen but if it's a rooster it's not a crisis. Thanks! IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1132.JPG
    It has a fluffy patch of feathers just by the tail like the other hens have.
    IMG_1133.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by